WD40 survey! volume control static fix

link626

I've had my promedia 4.1 for 10 years, and recently just bothered to look for a fix for the volume control static.

I see that there are a bunch of WD40 haters, but WD40 seems to work on all kinds of audio equipment.

I searched this forum, and found a few people who already used WD40 to fix the static YEARS ago.

I just want to follow up and see how they're doing.

WD40 still holding up ??

i've nevr used it on my electronics personally because it attracts dust, but unlike what most people think... WD40 is NOT a lubricant... it is a SOLVENT that has lubricating properties... eg; it is wetand does not evaporate

well, i just applied a few drops of wd40 with an eyedropper, and it removed 99% of the static noise.

after several minutes, black carbon deposits started to seep out directly behind the knob, which i wiped with a cloth.

it looks like the wd40 flushed it out. The carbon deposits might be the thing that's causing the static.

now, either the wd40 has gathered all of the carbon dust into an oily suspension like motor oil, or it has started to deteriorate the carbon ring inside....... I don't know.

plus, I don't think I've seen anyone say 'oh no! wd40 killed my sub!"

wd40 may not be for most volume pots, but it seems to be safe for the klipsch promedia.

well, i just applied a few drops of wd40 with an eyedropper, and it removed 99% of the static noise. after several minutes, black carbon deposits started to seep out directly behind the knob, which i wiped with a cloth. it looks like the wd40 flushed it out.

I flushed the original tonearm on an Empire 398 TT (vintage 1961) that I snagged on fleabay last year. The arm didn't work very well at all before the WD40 treatment - it acted as if it was overcome by friction. I thought that it was time to buy a new arm before my last-ditch WD-40 treatment.

I'm still using that tonearm now and it performs very well indeed (1 1/2 years later). I flushed about an acre's worth of crud out of that arm over the space of an 1/2 hour or so.

Amazing stuff --I don't think that any other treatment would have resurrected that arm. No probems with dust now-the oil film seems to have evaporated.

Chris

"it looks like the wd40 flushed it out. The carbon deposits might be the thing that's causing the static."

the carbon is actually the componet of the volume pot. when you disolve it, your taking some of it off. you might get a way with it once or twice, but the coating is not very thick.