Klipsch RF-7II Need suggestions

inder19

I have ordered the RF-7II + RC-64II + 2 x RS-62II Along with an SW-311 sub. Currently I have the budget to either add 2 more surround speakers for rear surround with either RB-81 or RS-62 or to add an additional SW-311.

If anyone has any experience or recomendation that would be great. My room is 5500 cubic feet.

I have ordered the RF-7II + RC-64II + 2 x RS-62II Along with an SW-311 sub.

Inder19,

That will be a jam up system as a 5.1 setup.

Currently I have the budget to either add 2 more surround speakers for rear surround with either RB-81 or RS-62 or to add an additional SW-311.

Is your room prewired for (2) rear surrounds? If so, being that the room is dedicated as a theater, go ahead and get the rear surrounds. It would be much easier to add another sub later if and when $$$'s become available. JMO.

Bill

The room is pre wired for rears and dual subs. My issue is with mounting the rears. I can ceiling mount at 2-5 ft behind seats or the back wall which is 15ft away from seats. I eventually plan to add another sub and rears its just a matter of what to do first.

The room is pre wired for rears and dual subs. My issue is with mounting the rears. I can ceiling mount at 2-5 ft behind seats or the back wall which is 15ft away from seats. I eventually plan to add another sub and rears its just a matter of what to do first.

After reading this additional information, dual subs would probably have a more immediate impact than rears.

Bill

After reading this additional information, dual subs would probably have a more immediate impact than rears.

Bill

I think I will go for the extra subwoofer. I know some people here might say go for a better subwoofer and I have looked into it but I am getting 2 of these for slightly over the MSRP of 1 and can't find anything that will compare to that dollar to dollar.

I am not set on what I want on the rear so I also am going to try out the RS-62II first and the RB-81 to see what I would prefer as the rears. My setup is such that I have a pool table behind the seats and will want to run the rears as a 2.1 zone 2 just for music for which I think the RB-81's will be better than the RS-62II.

I have been told in best case scenario I will have them by the 24th, so I am crossing my fingers. They are only coming from Toronto to Vancouver so as long as everything is in stock I should be good. Would be an awesome christmas day set up.

I received some good news due to having my birthday in early January long story short I am getting a set of RB-81II for my rears. Does anyone know of a good mount with which I can ceiling mount these slightly angled downwards with the ability to rotate them without the need of a screw driver.

I received my monoprice wires, it was my first time ordering from them, I paid less than I would have for 2 monster HDMI cables with a discount and I got
100ft speaker cable, 10 hdmi cables, 2 "subwoofer" cables, 2 wall plates, 2 optical cables. Quality feels very good.

I received some good news due to having my birthday in early January long story short I am getting a set of RB-81II for my rears.

Congrats on the the birthday gift.

Does anyone know of a good mount with which I can ceiling mount these slightly angled downwards with the ability to rotate them without the need of a screw driver.

How high is your ceiling and at what level are your side surrounds. If your ceiling is 10ft or higher I don't know if rear surrounds is a good idea. You could work with 8ft with no problem and have your side surrounds mounted at around 7ft. The RB-81II's should hang down to about 7ft, therefore they would be about even.

I don't know personally about ceiling mounts but maybe someone will chime in.

Bill

I received some good news due to having my birthday in early January long story short I am getting a set of RB-81II for my rears.

Congrats on the the birthday gift.

Does anyone know of a good mount with which I can ceiling mount these slightly angled downwards with the ability to rotate them without the need of a screw driver.

How high is your ceiling and at what level are your side surrounds. If your ceiling is 10ft or higher I don't know if rear surrounds is a good idea. You could work with 8ft with no problem and have your side surrounds mounted at around 7ft. The RB-81II's should hang down to about 7ft, therefore they would be about even.

I don't know personally about ceiling mounts but maybe someone will chime in.

Bill

Thanks,

My ceiling is only 8ft. How high should the sides be mounted if the rears were out of the picture? I have read above ear level and at ear level.... I want to be able to rotate the RB-81's 180* to listen where there will be a very small bar and pool table. From my personal experience I havent noticed a huge benefit of rear surrounds as most of the time they are off or just duplicating what the surrounds are playing so the main reason for me is to use them as zone 2 speakers. My pre-wire is on the ceiling and that is causing the issue.

Someone else suggested bridging the fronts and putting the rears as zone 2 only and not use them as rears. That would make purchasing a mount easier but I would rather use them as dual purpose. Perhaps I will add some pictures and someone can provide a creative solution.

My ceiling is only 8ft.

No problem with that height.

How high should the sides be mounted if the rears were out of the picture? I have read above ear level and at ear level

I have my tweeters on my RS-35's at 77 inches from floor. I have read most recommend 6 to 7 feet from floor. With your rears mounted and angled down, the tweeters will probably end up about 7.5 feet from floor. That would be just about right.

Great idea having the RB-81's do double duty.

Bill

In honest opinion I would cancel the Klipsch subwoofer and invest that and the other money into a subwoofer that can keep up with the RF-7II

Yep; I agree with Jay.

Not trying to make you feel bad, but I really think after a few days or weeks you will have the upgrade bug.

Good luck.

In honest opinion I would cancel the Klipsch subwoofer and invest that and the other money into a subwoofer that can keep up with the RF-7II

Yep; I agree with Jay.

Not trying to make you feel bad, but I really think after a few days or weeks you will have the upgrade bug.

Good luck.

Don't worry about making me feel bad lol[:D], I took everyones opinion on the sub hard into consideration and was considering going to the pb-13-Ultra in the black oak or one of the HSU models. After my research I came to the same sort of conclusion that the pb-13 is easily worth the extra $600. My issue is that I still work part time for an authorized klipsch dealer so I am getting a ridiculously good deal on these pretty much a 2 for 1. In addition to that there was a bit more hassle in getting one of those in Canada.

The other issue is that the size of the pb-13 doesn't fly at home....The sw-311 is small enough that I can place them in a manner that they can not be seen.

And if you are correct about me wanting to upgrade after trying at home the worst case scenario is me selling the two that I purchased and upgrading to a different one

• Moderators

Congrats on the new gear. Not sure you are going to be able to find a mount that will do all that you are wanting it to since your rear speakers will need to be angled dowward. You might be able to make a custom mount yourself since the RB-81 II's have double threaded inserts. I'm guessing they are located on the bottom of the speaker. This would mean you would have to mount them upside down to take advantage of the threaded inserts. Just a thought.

I dont know how loud you are gonna wanna listen to your system, but you may want to consider an external amp to take some of the load off that Onkyo espically if you are gonna run 7.1, I even use one and I am only running 5. I know the Onkyo is THX certified and all but it is only putting out 68 watts when it is driving 5 and 7 channels. That Onkyo is gonna run super hot if your pushing is hard with 5+ speakers.

I dont know how loud you are gonna wanna listen to your system, but you may want to consider an external amp to take some of the load off that Onkyo espically if you are gonna run 7.1, I even use one and I am only running 5. I know the Onkyo is THX certified and all but it is only putting out 68 watts when it is driving 5 and 7 channels. That Onkyo is gonna run super hot if your pushing is hard with 5+ speakers.

Funny that you mention that as I was just on the emotiva site looking at the XPA-3 and XPA-5. I was going to give the Onkyo a listen first and see how it sounds. I was going to use the built in bridging for the front channels which theoretically doubles the power from 68 to 136. I was leaning against that because then there is less power for the centre channel and I can only run a 5.1 setup. I was trying to see if there is a way to run a 7.1 and bridge only for stereo...

Would you suggest going with the XPA-3 and running the rest via the receiver or the XPA-5 and running just the rears from the receiver. I would possibly like to run two outdoor speakers so the amp would help in that respect leaving the receivers zone 2 and 3 for other uses but thats getting ahead of myself lol.

It's going to be a bitter sweet christmas I have the receiver and all the cables but not the speakers and I am putting together a new HTPC for which I have all the parts but power supply which is coming next week. I guess will organize and clean up, maybe put all the banana plugs where I need to so when the speakers come its just unpack plug and play

My sub has a nice; small footprint.

I believe it is something ~14" wide X 15" deep X 14" tall...

http://emotiva.com/ultra_sub12.shtm

On sale for $429 right now. (I got mine for $369 6 months ago when they had a big promotion going).

Good Luck with your sub dilemma......

That is a good price and size.

I was just curious if anyone has tried out the SW-311 before making judgement. Not that I don't agree with most of what people are saying and I know the specs and reviews of the other recommended subs are very good.

My primary use is for movies and music, most of my music is not very bass heavy. Very little hip hop etc. Primarily I will be listening to (I am being honest so please reserve judgement lol) mainstream music such as coldplay, script, Killers, jack johnson. Older music from zeppelin, springstein, journey. I am all over the map with occasional jazz, techno, almost everything other than rap and country.

For movies I think its similar to everyone else, I have a list of what I want to watch first and partially and in not in any order it is

Inception
Town
I haven't seen the above three because I have been waiting for my speakers

Star trek
Black Hawk down (heard its really good for audio)
Dark Knight

How low of a frequency would a sub really need to hit and what db would be considered good for that type of uses. 75% movies /25% music

I have heard some of these on a KEF setup with the XQ30 and 2 subs XQ60 and was pleased by the quality and the level of bass was ok although quality wasn't where I would like it. I wasn't jumping out of my seat and running get the setup but I wasn't dissatisfied. That was running off an Onkyo TX-NR807.....
I have also heard the RF-83 setup with an RT-12D and RF-63 setup with the RSW-10D x 2 which I was happy with....
I would love to be able to give some of these recommended subs a try if anyone knows of a place in washington near seattle, or in Vancouver BC...

My primary use is for movies and music, most of my music is not very bass heavy. Very little hip hop etc. Primarily I will be listening to (I am being honest so please reserve judgement lol) mainstream music such as coldplay, script, Killers, jack johnson. Older music from zeppelin, springstein, journey. I am all over the map with occasional jazz, techno, almost everything other than rap and country.

For movies I think its similar to everyone else, I have a list of what I want to watch first and partially and in not in any order it is

Inception
Town
I haven't seen the above three because I have been waiting for my speakers

Star trek
Black Hawk down (heard its really good for audio)
Dark Knight

How low of a frequency would a sub really need to hit and what db would be considered good for that type of uses. 75% movies /25% music

I hve similar music tastes and let me say a proper subwoofer does make a difference. Its one of those things if a proper sub is there you will not notice it until you turn it off and you go, what happened?

All of those movies you listed have a lot of low bass (<32 hertz) so it would be worth your while to get a subwoofer that is not punchy but goes the depth.

Seeing how that is pretty much Onkyos top of the line I would give it a listen first, see what you think, see if your comfortable with how hot it is going to run and then go from there. Even though all of Emotivas amps are on sale for the holidays. If you are looking for more, I would suggust going with the XPA-3 for the fronts and let the Onkyo take care of the rest. Should be pretttttyyyy awesome! Good luck.