Where to cross KP-682?

Coytee

Brother in law nabbed two 682's on Ebay. He already has a pair of EV SxA-360's to try to mate with them (he might look for some 362's)

According to the specs of both, the EV's are 60-18Khz (-10db) and the 682's are 40-200 (-10db)

I'd hate to cross them at 80 and use the 682's for only 40hz of their potential.

100?

200?

keep it at 80?

Richard,

Sorry I did not answer the PM, been a bit busy with the Holiday stuff....

I cross the 682's at 200hz through a DriveRack 260 Active. I haven't noticed any dead spots or distortion form the 362's or the 682's, as they blend very nicely at that setting. Your milage may vary........Hope this helps. I believe Michael (CoulterPro) has a similar setup to mine and we use them in a 25K sq/ft hangar. He may use a different cross point, I haven't herd him say what he crosses at.

Happy Holidays,

W. C.

frequencies below 120 are difficult for the hum ear to to image (elephants running towards us in a jungle sound like they are coming from everywhere). If you crossover at 120 or below, it won't hurt your stereo imaging. Most folks can not localize the location of the subwoofer crossover at 120 or below. The human ear can localize frequencies above 120, they will be able to localize the location of the sub. If you crossover above 120, depending on the distance from your main speakers, you might have to play with phasing, or it may seem to cancel mid bass. your concern about efficiency of octave allocation (crossover at 30 - 60 is a waste, 30 - 90, etc) needs to consider the amount of distorted music that exist in the lower octaves. Your basically using the subs as a heat sink, to draw away music garbage from your main speakers (if you actually split the frequencies.) So even if you cross over at 60, it's still good. I would go with 120hz.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, maybe 120, but I think they get pretty squonky sounding higher than that. Don't think of it as # of Hz that the speaker is producing but the percentage of the musical energy. There is a LOT of sound energy between 30 and 120 in a live performance. That's two octaves and a lot of horsepower.