K-500-5000 crossovers

davis419b

Thanks Heli001, I will have to get a friend of mine to help figure out the schematic as I dont know how to read them. I know these two wires go to the middle inductor but dont know if they were unhooked for a reason. Is there a way to check that inductor to see if it is bad?

Well, I went and looked. Although my networks are the same model as yours they're different. The middle inductor on mine is an autoformer instead of a coil. Has 4 connections which doesn't match up with the wiring diagram shown here.

that wire with the funny little terminal on it probably goes to one of the screws on the back of the terminal bock, fold it down and see which one it wants. It's probably #5. The stripped or broken one probably goes to the junction at the caps, look hard to see if you can see a matching broken spot.

Look at the red line on the schematic. It is shown shorting out the inductor L3. I suspect someone has simply disconnected L3 and replaced it with a wire. See if the two dead wires go the the inductor. If it does, there is nothing to fix. The entire network is outmoded anyhow though!

Al K.

Both disconnected wies come from the center inductor which is located under the squawker. In other pics that I have seen of early crossover they dont seem to have the long capacitor that this one does. It looks as though they disconnected the inductor and replaced it with a capacitor. One of the wires from the capacitor is soldered to the hard wire that connects all three capacitors together and the other is attached to the terminail strip tweeter positive. As you can tell from my description I know nothing about electronics in general, hoping to learn as I have purchased alot of equipment that the only thing I know is how it sounds to me. One other question, this seems to be a 16 ohm system so do I have to have a 16 ohm amp to listen to the khorn. Thanks for all of your help !

Don

Don't get too wound up about the size and shape of those old can caps. they vary, according to whatever PWK was getting a good bulk buy on. Mine have 3 much physically smaller can stacked vertically. Three 5uf wired in parallel make a 15 whether they're side by side or stacked vertically.

And, see what Al said about obsolete. Those 60 year old caps are junk. Old oil filled can caps do not improve with age like a fine wine or something. If you're a discerning listener you would be amazed by the improved sound of your Khorns with a modern high quality crossover.