K33E 4 or 8 ohm?

marganai

Guest David H

Hello, I am new in this forum and I apologize for my English.
I would like to build Klipsch La scala. But I have big doubts about k33e speaker.
The original speaker has an impedance of 8 ohms or 4?
I would not begin work to build with this doubt.
Thanks.Hi.

ALK is correct, the impedence is approximately 6 ohms. The resistance measured across the terminals is roughly 4 ohms.

What doubts do you have about the K-33E? It is the correct driver for use in a Lascala.

Dave

DCR is about 3.2 ohms if you use an ohm meter. Impedance is as stated below if you have an impedance meter and are measuring at a frequency way above 0hz. And yes, there are k-33 looking things out there with a DCR of 6.2 ohms and/or an impedance of 8 ohms. it's a brass colored twin brother used in the speakerlab khorn bass bin.

I measured with a tester of a speaker symbol with K-33-E and DC is 3.4 ohms. Be corrected Lascala speaker? I buy loose components. I would not miss it. Thank you very much for answers.Yes

marganai,

Welcome to the forums, I hope you stay a while. Yes, you have the correct driver. The thing to remember here is that staitionary, the reading of 3.4 Ohms across the voice coil is fine, because the K-33E is being used as a "COMPRESSION DRIVER", just like the K-55! That slot in the cabinet, and a specific volume of air in the woofer chambe change the ammount of resistance that your amplifier will see.

Roger

1000 Thanks for the replies. I just love to Klipsch Lascala. I would like to build. Knowing good carpenter to build cabinets to the original measure. Where I buy speakers in the U.S.A? Can you recommend where to buy online? So that I can find at any time speakers and horns that I need to build?

Why dont you just buy a pair of Klipsch Lascala,s from the company ??? there not that expensive,, For every clone nock off copy that is made puts another nail in the coffin. The Klipsch Group family gotta eat too,,

• 3 months later...

You might be interested in what I posted in http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/94042.aspx?PageIndex=2

It is the measured impedance of the Belle woofer, in place in the Belle, at the input to the driver. That is to say, the impedance which the bass crossover "sees" at its output. The LaScala should be very similar.

djk (above) posted the impedance seen by the amp from the Heyser review of the K-Horn, that is the impedance at the input to the total crossover. So that graph includes, the effect of the crossover, and the effect of the midrange. But we see they are fairly close.

If you are seeking the d.c. voice coil resistance of the woofer it is not on these graphs. It would be at zero Hz. But we see at the left most of the graphs the impedance is heading for the expected 3 "something" ohms.

Theory says that the voice coil impedance should double with horn loading. But horn loading, in theory, with Belle or LS does not come up to full value until well above 100 Hz. We're seeing some of that.

The 3 x13 slot in the bass horns may be causing the impedance to drop further up going to 400 Hz.on my graph. Then voice coil inductance causes an increase.

On the K-Horn graph the impedance at 400 Hz is increasing because of the bass crossover inductor. As we go above 400 Hz on the K-Horn we see a big increase in impedance. That is because of the autotransformer in the midrange crossover.

I can appreciate that the cost of a new LS is very high and is an incentive to build something like it yourself.

Wm McD.