Marantz SR 5005 Owners - HELP!

Dennie

Did he try any of my suggestions?

Thanks for the reply tkd, I think he's tried some, but right now he is trying to find another source to try the speakers with, to make sure they are indeed working. He spent the whole day yesterday trying to get it going and I am sure he is just scratching his head at this point.

I think it is probably a setting on the AVR that he is missing. Everything is new, so it leaves me scratching my head. I've never had a Marantz receiver, so I am not famailiar with the initial set up. If it were Pioneer, I could probably walk him threw it blindfolded.

Thanks,

Dennie

Thanks Dennie and tkd.

Did try most of the things tkd suggested except "The last thing you may want to check is that you don't have the "ext" for the {edit} analog inputs engaged, which would circumvent your digital connection..."..... don'y understand that....:-0...sorry!

The installation guy is coming back in 30 min with a different avr so we can check if the speakers are ok. Asked him to get some extra speaker wires in case those are the problem. Am currently using IXOS 16/2 wires.....don't think they should be a problem but just wondering.

Fingers crossed that the speakers work with the test avr. Irrespective, either Marantz or Klipsch customer support will be getting a stinker form me...;-). Even if the avr is good, setup shouldnt be this hard.

BTW, really appreciate your time and help guys! Thanks and will keep you posted.

Quick update guys! So I tried connecting my speakers through a Sony AVR and they work just fine (thank god!!..:-)).

Next, we tried bi-amping the rf-82s with the marantz sr5005. Now only the tweeters on the speakers are working.....still no sound from the woofers. Followed instructions from the manual (pgs. 36-37) and kept the amp input as SPKR-C. The speaker setup I have kept only includes Front (with no center or surrounds). Do i need to change this? Since only the tweeters are working with a bi-amp connection...I am tempted to beleive that the Front A output on the AVR is faulty/not configured properly. Also, I have connected a subwoofer with the biamp setting (though not shown in the biamp connection drawing on page 36) and it is working ok. Any thoughts on how to get the woofers on the towers to work? Still trying to play around with the settings. On Audyssey, it only picks up the front speakers (two tweeters). Let me know if you guys have any thoughts on this. Relieved that the speakers work though (whew)...and they sounded good with that Sony test avr that i borrowed....:-)...yay!!

Oh man, that is GREAT News!

Cut a little piece of speaker wire and run it between the top and bottom speakers terminals.

Do you have the original "jumpers" that go between the two binding posts? If not, just make them out of speaker wire.

Positive to positive and negitive to negitive.

Maybe your right and the Marantz is bad. Take it back and get a replacement.

Keep us posted,

Dennie

Here is a generic pic of speaker jumpers.......

1017213.jpg

They need to be connected for the Tweeters and Woofers to work with one set of speaker wires going to the speaker.

If you don't have the ones that came with the speakers, as I said, you can make them out of speaker wire and they will work just fine.

Dennie

Quick update guys! So I tried connecting my speakers through a Sony AVR and they work just fine (thank god!!..:-)). Next, we tried bi-amping the rf-82s with the marantz sr5005. Now only the tweeters on the speakers are working.....still no sound from the woofers. Followed instructions from the manual (pgs. 36-37) and kept the amp input as SPKR-C. The speaker setup I have kept only includes Front (with no center or surrounds). Do i need to change this? Since only the tweeters are working with a bi-amp connection...I am tempted to beleive that the Front A output on the AVR is faulty/not configured properly. Also, I have connected a subwoofer with the biamp setting (though not shown in the biamp connection drawing on page 36) and it is working ok. Any thoughts on how to get the woofers on the towers to work? Still trying to play around with the settings. On Audyssey, it only picks up the front speakers (two tweeters). Let me know if you guys have any thoughts on this. Relieved that the speakers work though (whew)...and they sounded good with that Sony test avr that i borrowed....:-)...yay!!

I really don't understand exactly what's going on but if the jumpers that Dennie is talking about above is in place (which it should be) you should be getting sound out of the entire speaker if it's connected with one set of speaker wire. If it's not in place and you are only getting sound from the tweeter then that is the culprit...Insofar as if it's in place AND you are only getting sound out of the tweeter I don't see how that can be anything to do with the avr and feel its a malfunction in the speaker.....If you got the entire speaker to work on the sony with the jumpers in place and with only one set of wires it really seems like the fault is in your AVR (or user error that we haven't diagnosed).

No, not if you're bi-amping. Bi-amping consists of "usually" one amp for the Tweeters and one amp for the Woofers. If you are running two speaker wires from the "amp", one to the top (tweeter) terminal and one to the bottom "mid-woofer" terminal, then that will be fine.

The jumpers are for one wire only coming from the amp.

Are you getting sound out of the mid-woofers now?

Dennie

Thanks Dennie!! Yes, I have the original jumpers that came with the speakers. Should I use them even if I am bi amping? Tried yesterday with them on but with a regular setup (just one wire out from each speaker) to Front A. Just wanna check before I put the jumpers in. Thanks!

I wouldn't biamp and suggest putting the jumpers back in place and run one set of wires...If not and you want to keep 2 sets of wires running to your speakers leave the jumpers off.

Thanks Dennie!! Yes, I have the original jumpers that came with the speakers. Should I use them even if I am bi amping? Tried yesterday with them on but with a regular setup (just one wire out from each speaker) to Front A. Just wanna check before I put the jumpers in. Thanks!

I wouldn't biamp and suggest putting the jumpers back in place and run one set of wires...If not and you want to keep 2 sets of wires running to your speakers leave the jumpers off.

I agree, no reason to biamp if you have the jumpers (and only one amp).

One set of wires running across the floor is enough. Put the jumpers on and use one set of wires.

But, I'm still wondering if the speakers are working correctly, yet.

Dennie

Sorry about the confusion guys! Yesterday, I was trying with just one wire (contains both + and -) on one speaker input (the low frequency +/-) with the connecting metal plate on. The speaker wire was connected to Front A on the AVR and produced no sound at all...Audyssey did not even detect the speakers. Today I am using two wires (with 2 + and 2 -) on both the LF (woofer) and HF(tweeter) of the speaker without the connecting metal plate. Now the LF wires from each speaker (the lower inputs on the speakers) are going into Front A (R&L) output of the AVR as described in the manual on page 36. The HF wires from each speaker are going into the SURR. BACK/AMP ASSIGN output on the avr. The subwoofer is connected to the SW (pre out through a coax with an adaptor). Now I am getting sound only from the tweeters (HF) on each side. have kept the Amp Assign setting to SPKR-C as described on page 37 of the manual. No idea why the LF/woofer connections going into FRONT A are not working.

When I tested the speakers with the Sony avr, all speakers (woofers and tweeters) played with a regular single wire (with metal jumper) to Front A of that AVR.

Apologies, i don't mean to take up so much of your time and am terribly confused my self. Let me know if you guys can figure out something that I am doing wrong. many thanks once again for all the replies, support and encouragement.

Okay, first of all.....hit the return key every now and then. It makes it easier for us "Old Guys" to read. LOL

Now, Put the jumpers back on and only use the tweeter wire. Cause we know it works.

Report back!

Dennie

It works!! It works!! OMG...just cranked up Velvet Underground and it sounded gooood!!! Well, a lot better than the tweeters alone...lol.

Keep hitting the enter key Dennie but it somehow still appears as one paragraph.....sorry..;p

So now, both speakers are connected at SURR. BACK/AMP ASSIGN with no output from FRONT A. The sound is good but I cant really tell if its at 100% (no frame of reference...lol). The sub also sounds weak right now....trying to reconfigure through Audyssey.

Does this mean the Front A output of the AVR is dead?? Any, will keep fiddling around for a bit!\

Dennie, cant thank you enough buddy! Big Thanks!! :-)

Great news again, Osiris! Thank Goodness! LOL

Rock out tonight and call Marantz tomorrow and see if they can help you determine if the receiver is defective or not. It is probably in the set up menu somewhere, but everyone has different ways of doing it. Hopefully they can walk you through a proper set up.

Oh Man, I think I am as "Stoked" as you are! rockout.gif

Enjoy the music, read and re-read the manual and pretty soon (hopefully) you'll have that BEAST Mastered! fingerscrossed.gif

Dennie

I will send you my address so you can send the Check!!! [;)]

Haha! Yeah, been at it for a while dude! Dennie's been awesome!! Still not getting much sound from the sub. And not even close to having this Marantz figured out....in fact I'm quite confused as to how its working at these settings....lol.

Will post pics soon!

"Venus in Furs" by The Velvet Underground has never sounded better. Thanks again guys!

It works!! It works!! OMG...just cranked up Velvet Underground and it sounded gooood!!! Well, a lot better than the tweeters alone...lol. ... So now, both speakers are connected at SURR. BACK/AMP ASSIGN with no output from FRONT A. The sound is good but I cant really tell if its at 100% (no frame of reference...lol). The sub also sounds weak right now....trying to reconfigure through Audyssey. Does this mean the Front A output of the AVR is dead??

I wouldn't eventry to figure out how to run Audyssey the way you have it configured and something is definitely wrong...Btw, what kind of "installation guy," came and set this up and does he work for the same company that you purchased the AVR?