Better to buy 2 more expensive surrounds or 3 / 4 less expensive?

MONSTERTHEJOSH

Hello! I'm considering buying some 82 II's in the near future and was looking at getting 3 or 4 rs 41 II's or 42 II's for surround. I wondered if it might be better to spend a bit more on rs 52 II's? I'd have to just get 2 rs 52II's due to the money situation.

Any advice on this one? I dont believe its advised to mix them up (like 2 rs 41 II's and one rs 42 II...etc...right?

Thanks much!

My advice would be to keep the frequency response the same, Its important but you can compromise. Because your looking at surrounds and not fronts or center you can get away with it easier because of HRTF (head related transfer functions) your head has a different response for sound that is originating form the front than the rear. So you can get 3 or 4 42 II's for surround. But you would have to EQ the surrounds in order for them to have the same perceived frequency response as the front. It also depends on how big of a room you have. But my humble opinion is if you have a receiver that can handle 4 discrete channels of surround then go for it. However your going to have to eq them. If you get the 82's then you wont have to EQ those (as much).

I hope this helps

First, if you're sitting very near the back wall, 5.1 is all you need. 6.1 or 7.1 is only effective if you're at least 4 feet from the back wall.

Second, if you feel you need 4 surrounds, get the ones you want. If there's only room for two in the budget right now, get them now and get the other pair when finances allow. In the long run, you won't feel like you settled for less than you actually wanted. You don't want to look at your speakers everyday and wish you'd bought the better ones instead.

This is good advice.

Don't buy 4 gyppo speakers just to get 7.1. Since there isn't much material yet encoded with true 7.1, you won't notice that much difference between 5.1 & 7.1. So I would spend my money on two decent surrounds. Check Audiogon or even look at the RS-52I's or RS-62I's, I got mine cheaper because they were discontinued and I think they look better without the rounded grill cover.

Hey guys, thanks a lot! You are correct, my couch is basically against the wall so I guess the 2 surround back speakers are not really necessary and yes, I agree that it would be better to get better speakers now and I could always add more later when $ falls into my lap.

Looks like Klipsch has the RS 52ii's matched up with the RF 82ii's so perhaps I'll go with 2 of those. It'll be sad to get rid of my current Fortes but my wife wants slimmer speakers that look nicer, guess I cant complain about the 82's though!

Thanks again!