A different slant on the Audiovox / Klipsch story...

Coytee

From what I've been reading, one would possibly take away the feeling that this proposed union is just about as good of news as hearing one of your parents has cancer. For all I know, that might be the reality.

Keep in mind though.... sometimes companies join together and the larger company takes over the name of the smaller.

No reason to think that's going to happen here, just saying that it has. Perhaps Audiovox feels Klipsch is more in touch with products but that AV might have better marketing/sales operation.

Just speculating.

I guess this means we're living in "interesting times?"

I believe that Audiovox acquired Acoustic Research, Advent, and Jensen after Recoton corp went bankrupt in 2003 or 2004 and assets were liquidated. Think about Hewlett Packard's original line of business and what the name means today.

From Recoton 2002 financials (the last annual financials filed with the Securities & Exchange Commission before liquidation).

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/82536/000089968102000095/recoton-10k_032802.txt

In 1996 we significantly enhanced our international presence with the acquisition of International Jensen Incorporated, now known as Recoton Audio Corporation, a global developer and marketer of home and car stereo speakers, car stereos including cassette and CD players and amplifiers sold under many well recognized brand names including JENSEN, ADVENT, AR/ACOUSTIC RESEARCH, PHASE LINEAR and NHT(NOW HEAR THIS) in the United States and MAGNAT and MACAUDIO in Germany. This acquisition has made us one of the world's largest marketers of home speakers and mobile audio speakers and electronics.

RCA is more complicated as it was originally taken over by General Electric in 1986 (I remember watching this on the news in 1986). GE subsequently broke RCA into pieces. During 1987 GE traded RCA consumer electronics to Thomson SA for its medical division and $800 million. During 2006 Thomson SA sold essentially all consumer electronics under the RCA and Thomson brands to Audiovox.

RCA is more complicated....

Not very fair to compare any of these scenarios. Many in the other thread have shared their experiences with a company being purchased by another. In most cases, they describe how the product(s) became forever different. I understand these cases are factual accounts and based from real experience. I am concerned like everyone else here.

BUT, every situation is different from beginning to end, and that's where my optimism is coming from. There is no way to predict the outcome here. I'm keeping my thoughts positive on this and will follow things as they happen.

I have been a Klipsch fan for about 10 years now and have owned quite a few of their products. I do enjoy the forums and wish Klipsch and their employees much future sucsess.

That being said......

Having lost my Father and Sister to cancer and now my Mother is clinging to life thank to the same disease, I fail to make that comparison.

It is not that I am offended or thin skinned, but cancer? Really?

I have been a Klipsch lover since 1978 when I heard my first pair of K-horns at "Turntables Unlimited" on Howe Ave. in Sacramento CA. I often bang on my "Klipsch hater" buddies how you can't buy new L300's from JBL, Model 19's from Altec, Concert Grands from Bozak, AR3's etc.........BUT, you can buy a brand spankin' new pair of K-horns, Cornwalls, LaScalas and Heresy's made right here in the good ole' USA! I know it's a bit pre-mature but I would hate to loose those bragging rights!

• Moderators

vnzbd,

I'm sure Richard didn't mean that literally. He often puts his foot in his mouth, but we let him stick around anyway. Riiiight Richard?

Many of us on the forum have lost loved ones to that awful disease, including myself, and would never make light of it or intentionally upset someone by mentioning it.

That said, I'm very sorry to hear of your personal loss, and I wish your mother, and you, the best.

I’ve been on many sides of the acquisition/disposition scenario in corporate America and it isn’t always bad. Each time, I’ve been able to expand my skills and my role in the new situation.

I was with a company that experienced a change in ownership (family owned), acquired another company, and then was acquired by another larger corporate company. After an upgrade in my formal education, I subsequently worked for a company that was going through reorganization from a regional corporate format to a centralized corporate format. During my time at my current company I’ve worked in many offices across the eastern half of the country (and a couple in the west). What I’ve noticed from each situation was the differences in cultures that were merging. In my current situation, although one company, I would say that there is more of an “office culture” environment as opposed to an overriding “corporate culture” (of course the “corporate culture” would be somewhat unique when compared to other companies in the same industry). In each situation, while no company can afford duplication for long, each company considered talent retention as crucial and did not blindly make investments with the intent to lose money. For the most part, each company realized, to a certain extent, that when people and people-related issues such as culture are completely ignored, the potential for failure is very high. Given that, I saw many individual situations where the incoming employees succeeded and many situations where incoming employees failed. There were many debates on “what was the right way….” Overall, those that succeeded seemed to have a common view of “the grass will be as green as I make it.” They did not “dig in their heels” and say the “old way was the only way,” but looked at the transition as inevitable and embraced the change as an opportunity to do more……

I was originally introduced to Klipsch speakers in 1976 and as an owner of Khorns, La Scalas, Cornwall IIs, and five pairs of Heresy speakers, I too love the Klipsch sound and hope that sound can continue to advance in the future.

• Moderators

I apprecate your perspective, Fjd, and thank you for sharing your experiences.

Putting my moderater hat back on, I would still like to keep the Audiovox comments in a single thread. I simply don't want the topic to overshadow the true purpose of this forum, which is to talk about and help others with audio!

Please see the current thread here, and feel free to leave comments.