Dampening LaScalas bass bin side walls with sand

FranJ

I have to wonder if what you are hearing has more to do with room modes than the Lascala design. Sometimes the mods I see here are a bit extreme for what can be gained, and other mods seem to be aimed at making these speakers do things they were not designed to do.

Not to slam what you're trying to do, after all, they're your speakers and I enjoy fiddling with mine too, but the Lascalas are a very capable system if you don't expect them to operate outside their design envelope. Perhaps a simpler mod might be to double up on the Lascala side panels and add a tie bar across the front. That should stiffen them quite a bit where the wood is most likely to flex and if you use screws and no glue, you can remove the mods and putty the screw holes..

I agree with almost all your mods and that's the road I will probably take.

Not so sure about that horizontal brace on the front: not sure its effect is really big (since you already did all the strenghtening of the sides etc) and, if all the rest looks good and doesn't destroy the speaker's aesthetics, this last mod looks a bit over the top to me and makes the speaker look less good IMO.

Of course looks are not supposed to matter that much but the LS bass bin looks so cool and "agressive" with its boat shape its a bit of a pity to add something there...

I also have a black cat but he doesn't care that much about the sound. Our new female cat on the other hand enjoys sitting in front of the bass bin when music is playing. Go figure... maybe she was a pole dancer in a previous life.

The front brace looks much better in person but that type of thing is always subjective. I was suprised at tha amount of movement remaining at the front edge even after bulking up sides....(sides are now 1 5/8" thick). Thats why the brace was added, I think there is just a ton of energy at that point in the cabinet. I can say that that snare hits and drum tones as well as bass guitar notes are very realistic and "tight" after these changes in my opinion...enough so to make me smile and get a little giddy from time to time while listening...they just sound so realistic. I thought these were great speakers when I brought them thru the door but I just enjoy tinkering and the quest alot I suppose, and getting that last .010 out of an already great design. I have fastrac horns on order...after that I doubt I will do anything more to these...I do have a set of klf20's to molest next as a project, but I can't imagine ever taking the lascalas out of my listening room.