Playing outdoors.....question

Coytee

I've emailed with Mike (DocWho) about this but thought I'd post it here to see if others chime in.

Here's the entire "story"

I have the two (single) MWM bass cabinets, K402's (with K69's attached). I do not have the XII or the new midbass unit. I also have access now to two KP-682's. In case I have the numbers screwed up, it's the two driver unit not the single driver unit. This is the bass bin that has wheels on the rear corners.

Scenario: Mulling over different ideas about putting on a movie down by the lake. Think back to drive in movies....this one might be "boat in movie".

Set up a screen with something playing to the side of it.

My question(s) are:

1. Being at waters edge, I'd have little obstructions in front of me. Would the two MWM cabinets with the single K402 on top be enough? (my guess is no...as I might fry my K69)

2. If I acquired a pair of XII units or the new replacement units would it be enough to put the two MWM bins together, XII (or replacement) unit on top with the K402 on top of that? (would I still be at risk of frying the K69 if I crossed at 1K and put some volume to it?

3. What about using the two 682's, could they be beneficial in this setup and if so, how?

4. Could I instead, put the two 682's side by side, XII (or replacement) on top of them with the 402 on top of that?

5. What if I could scrounge up another pair of single MWM's.... would it work to stack FOUR of them together with the XII (or replacement) on top of them with the 402 on top of that? The four stacked MWM's would be split into two halves (different amps) but fed a mono- signal)

6. Making a mono-stack would (I think?) allow me to use fewer parts, put them together for more volume and as I understand it, maximize the intelligiblity of the system. With two single MWM's, two 682's, two 402's what options might I have there WITHOUT obtaining any new parts.

7. If I need to acquire some new parts, what piece would fill the largest need?

8. Would staying with a mono-stack be the best way to go or would there be merit in making it a stereo presentation (realize that the boats would probably be 100' away or more)

9. OR, am I simply all wet with this idea??

am I simply all wet

So did you drive Brutus into the lake again?

Well naturally I'd want stereo but if the boats are 100' away or more mono may be the way to go. At 100' or more away, though some may come in closer, maybe more for stereo. But anyway at 100' away your left and rights speakers would have to be quite a way apart, maybe 50 to 100 feet from the center for good stereo at 100'... but then you may create a hole in the center, especially if anyone would come in closer.

But now if you really want to do it right, go complete 5.1 anchor some pontoons for the rears. Of course this would be the let's get Coytee into the dog house rig... Probably need more speakers for stereo? But stereo would be so much cooler.

For outdoor PA I'd put something between the MWMs and the 402 / K69s I'd think so the K69 and 402 wouldn't have to play as deep as you're going to be giving them a good workout. I think the XII or replacement would protect your K69's

I think Doc said something about creating problems mixing bass cabinet types. One would think the 682's would help beef up the bottom end, but if operating in the same frequency range would it be a time alignment tupe of issue. The 682 sound is coming out now and the MWM a few milli or even micro seconds later. Maybe not enough to tell but maybe enough to really screw things up?