RF52 or RB81???? surround...

Patricius

Hi!

Question:

I have a pair RF 82 and center RC35 but I want to upgrade them with surrounds.

I am doubting between the RF 52 (420 Euro a pair) and RB 81 (340Euro a pair, thanks to RB81II the "old" has been discounted a lot cos the price of the "old buster"was 400 Euro each!!)

I have already standers for the RB81, although the tweeter will be not at same hearlevel (position ears to speaker) as the fronts RF 82.

I know the RB 81 has the same woofer as the RF82, so the sound is more near to the RF 82 than the RF52,

but the RF 52 has two woofers...but what ab the tweeter? same as the RF82 and the RB81?

The RF 52 has same hearlevel as the the RF 82 (ok maybe difference of few inch)

I would appreciate your advices! what are your experiences?

Of course I know the best option is to upgrade with another pair of RF 82 (600 Euro a pair) but

for the price difference I can buy almost the RW-10d (350 Euro) & RB 81

Greetz from Amsterdam!

Welcome to the forum! I don't think anyone will be able to tell you which way to go as it will come down to what you like and what's best for your room and living with the surrounds. I have run everything from RF's as surrounds to RB5's and even some RP's with build in subs and now 4 RS7's in 7.1 and they all sounded fine for surrounds. In my opinion they are the least important part of the puzzle for HT and starting with the center, the mains, the sub and then the surrounds. I would keep the budget low on the surrounds and look to upgrade to an RC64 or RC7 and a great sub and you'll be thrilled, but remember that's just what I think and you'll have to do what's best for you.

No one will be able to tell you what sounds best, but we do all have opinions on how you should spend your money! The tweeters in the RF-82, RB-81, and RF-52 are all the same. The 81 can actually handle more power (150 watts/600) vs the RF-52 (100/400), but the 52 is listed as having a lower bass extension. The 81 is recommended by Klipsch for the rear effects in a 7.1 system with RF-83s, RF-82s, and RF-7s, but if you want a speaker with a larger range, then the 52 fits that bill. Short of going and listening to them play together, you can go to Klipsch.com, click on products, products by line, reference, product archives, view all, and then compare the speakers you are interested in. It gives all the specs side-by-side. I would stay within the Klipsch Reference line to match your current set-up, though as Pete says, the surrounds are the least important.

Happy shopping!

I am not sure why you are trying to select a floor speaker (RF Series) or a bookshelf speaker (RB) for use as a surround speaker. The RS Series are the Reference Series that are designed for surround positioning. I am missing something, or should you look at the RS-52 II OR RS-62 II for surround speakers?

Another question to ask yourself is are you more movies or music? As Big Dog mentioned for movies I would look as the RS series with your current system I would look at the RS-52's. Then on the other hand if you are more a music person and like all chan stereo, I would consider the RB-81's. Before I went to heritage, I had 4 RF-82's and RB-81's with a RC-62 center with a RW-12D sub, and of coarse it sounded great for both movies and most defening for music!!

Good Luck

~ross

Good morning..when it is good morning for you it's already afternoon for me!

Good recommendations, thanks!

Well, when I am listening music 2 channel, the RF82 create more than enough satisfactions, so when I am listening music it is 2 chan.

listening 2 channel music 30%

cinema 5.1 40%

concert 5.1 30%..so for concert maybe rear surround RB81 will fit better?

Anyway the RS 52 is an good idea....just they are 60 Euro more expensive....than a pair of RB81. But knowing that the RB81 can be used excellent as rear channel for concert.

The RS42's they were 200 Euro a pair ,but they are not anymore on stock,arghhhh!!!! The man from the store told me also that the new klipsch line "II" doesn't make any difference in sound, just the looks changed, so the "old" line is a bargain.

So for special surround effects the RS 52 would fit better? Cos they are more specialized to surround sounds... if I can say so. They create more details than a stereo speaker. For the RB 81/51 I need serious standards, and they cost at least 120 Euro a pair!!

7.1 system is not an option for me cos the most Blu rays the are not 7.1.

I have these options:

2 x RB 51 plus RW10d 550 Euro

2x RB81 plus RW10d 690 Euro

2x RS52 plus RW10d 750 Euro

I just will do critical listening test! Any other advice is ofcourse very welcome!

and I will keep you updated, I will purchase them within 2 weeks