Weird Experience With NAD Pre-amp

jdm56

A few months ago I bought a new NAD C-165BEE pre-amp. It was fine right outta da' box - everything just as it should be. I was very pleased with the build quality and with the operation and sound of the thing - if pre-amps have a "sound", that is...

...Except for one little thing: The remote volume control was way too sensitive. Four taps would take you "from a whisper to a scream". I didn't think too much of it really, even though it could be quite a pain sometimes, to the point I'd just get up and go set the volume the old school way to get it just where I wanted it. I basically chalked it up to "nothing's perfect".

Well, a couple of nights ago I was making some system changes and I turned the pre off with the back panel switch. This switch is normally left on and the remote and front panel power buttons toggle between "on" and "standby". When I was done with everything, I turned the pre back on to "standby", then to "on" with the remote and started playing a CD. I bumped the volume up with the remote, expecting to get my usual huge increase in level, but low and behold it just went up a little bit, more or less matching the little tap on the volume control. And so far since, it's been back to like it should have been all along. It's like powering the pre off let something reset itself. Now it's so much nicer being able to get the exact volume I want using the remote. It's just weird that it it went through such a long period of not working right.

So, anybody have any idea of what was going on with it? I'm guessing it's like a lot of electronics these days that use microprocessors that can sometimes get "confused" and can be fixed with a simple reboot. But that's just my hunch.

I guess I've never been sure if the "sound" of a pre-amp was maybe just a lack of distortions and colorations... It just seems a pre-amp should have no sound of its' own, but I can't say that's really the case. With this pre, I was coming from using the pre-amp section of my HT receiver, and when I first put the NAD in the system, everything just seemed to come to life: cleaner, lower lows, more sparkling highs and just more separation of instruments and clarity.

It's really weird about the volume control, though. I did used to have an Adcom pre that used microprocessors, and the manual stated it might need turned off for a few seconds to allow them to reset if they started misbehaving. Like running with scissors, I guess.[:)]

I'm sure I had never turned mine off since I got it. I'd just put it in standby. I'm also sure the power from KCPL has blinked off a time or two, but maybe not for long enough to affect the microprocessors. I guess I'm just hoping what I'm hearing was real and not imagined. I don't see how I could have imagined it, though. Time will tell. I also hope that this isn't a recurring problem. Time will tell there, too. [^o)]

With this pre, I was coming from using the pre-amp section of my HT receiver, and when I first put the NAD in the system, everything just seemed to come to life: cleaner, lower lows, more sparkling highs and just more separation of instruments and clarity.

Jdm56,

That is the same thing I experienced when going from my Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver(love it for HT) to my NAD T773 receiver. Everything just opened up with more punch and detail and imaging than anything I have ever used before while being on the warmish/neutral side. Using the NAD as a pre/pro really has great synergy with my B&K amps and RF-63's

It's really weird about the volume control, though.

Yeah, that is kind of weird but NAD gear has been known to be quirky at times but the great sound kind of makes you overlook those glitches.

Bill

With this pre, I was coming from using the pre-amp section of my HT receiver, and when I first put the NAD in the system, everything just seemed to come to life: cleaner, lower lows, more sparkling highs and just more separation of instruments and clarity.

Jdm56,

That is the same thing I experienced when going from my Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver(love it for HT) to my NAD T773 receiver. Everything just opened up with more punch and detail and imaging than anything I have ever used before while being on the warmish/neutral side. Using the NAD as a pre/pro really has great synergy with my B&K amps and RF-63's

I would never have thought a pre-amp section could make such an immediately noticable difference (improvement) in sound quality. I had actually been reluctant to get the NAD because I thought it seemed kind of pricey for what was pretty much just a basic stereo pre-amp. (Pricey when compared to most receivers; not particularly pricey in the world of two-channel pre-amplifiers.) And as I'm sure you know, you just don't find NAD products discounted. At least, not from authorized dealers. But, I needed the tape monitor function, which has become a bit of a rare feature these days, even in the two-channel world. And I have not been disappointed with the purchase. From the minute I unpacked it, I've been impressed. The remote volume control being the only issue, really. And now that seems to be resolved. (knock on wood by-products)

]I would never have thought a pre-amp section could make such an immediately noticable difference (improvement) in sound quality

Good day fellow Missourian...

One day I could not believe my ears. I had an old Yamaha C-6 controller (pre). A friend of mine was trying to get a system set up and I told him I had a few components he may want to try. We hooked up the Yammy to my system to test it and I was embarrassed. Compared to the Adcom I am using now the Yamaha was terribly harsh and unrealistic. I dont know if it was just old and dirty or simply put a quality difference. It certainly opened my eyes regarding the question of pre-amp sound quality.

Keep on Rockin'

Hello Up There!

I have a niece up there in her freshman year. She's planning on becoming a vet.

Adcom eh? Good stuff! I had a GTP-602 for awhile and I'd probably still have one today (to go with my GFA-5500) if they had a tape monitor, but they don't. [:(]

Go Tigers!!

The volume control on mine turns pretty quick. I usually have to jog it back and forth to get the perfect volume. Maybe yours is the same? I put a piece of white tape on my volume knob so I could see it a little better but I still have to tap on the button to just move it a little bit at a time. I'm guessing it's normal?

I suppose. How you described it is pretty much how mine is. I really like it otherwise though, because it sounds great and is built like a tank. I sometimes have to do a little toggling of the volume with the remote to get it just where I want it. Sometimes it helps to just take it all the way back down to silence and then start tapping my way back up. They'll probably fix the new ones eventually. It's really a problem a person shouldn't have for $899, though. [:(] My Onkyo A-9555 doesn't do it. I even have a $250 Onkyo CR-315 CD-Receiver in out bedroom that doesn't do it. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything!