SUB 12 vs......

IHOPsOPEN

So I got a deal on craigslist a while back with quintets, a sub12, and a pioner vsx-917 for $400. I upgraded to a rf-35 setup and sold the quintets and receiver (kept the sub12) for $400... :) I have been looking around the forums for a while and see good things about the A3-300 and the PA-120. My questions are: How do these compare to my sub12? If I sold my sub12, what would be a better sub to replace it with (under $400 new or used)?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

IHOP

I found the Sub-12 did quite nicely for movies...not so much for music and my Klipsch Heresys...I don't generally listen to music on that system so that was no big deal...for the money (especially for your zero cost) you did super and the Sub-12 should serve you well...

Bill

I found the Sub-12 did quite nicely for movies...not so much for music and my Klipsch Heresys...I don't generally listen to music on that system so that was no big deal...for the money (especially for your zero cost) you did super and the Sub-12 should serve you well... Bill

Thanks for the quick reply! I really do like the sub during movies, as you said, but I listen to a lot of music too and I agree with you that music isn't as great. It sounds good, but I think I could find something better.

Has anyone had experience with PA-120 or something similar??

out of curiosity, how does the sub12 not sound good for music?

My KSW10 was not fast enough to keep up with fast paced music....

It could not consistantly play music accurately. (Bass guitar; kick drums; etc).

I know the sub 12 is a nice step up in watts; but the design is similar.

My Emotiva sub is sealed; and is very musical.

OP; have a look at this review:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/ultra-12

Also; there are other brands besides Klipsch that offer more accuracy; including a few DIY projects and DIY kits.

Klipsch lower and mid subs are good for movies. Not so much for music......

Not trying to offend..... I researched subs a lot last spring/summer......

OP; Good Luck on your Hunt!

also check Outlaw Audio...they use Hsu and Outlaw designed subs...I replaced my nice (even better for the price when on sale) Sub-12 with an Outlaw LFM-1 Plus...(also great when on sale)...the LFM-1 Plus is more powerful and can better keep up with music DVDs (or CDs) than the still very nice Klipsch Synergy Sub-12...

Bill

Examples?

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/ultra-12

When this is on sale (I got mine for $369 with shipping); 5 year warranty on everything (transferable).....it's a dam good deal.....

As mentioned; Hsu; Elemental Design; SVS; Velodyne; Epik; Rythmik all make really good to great subs.

Depends on how much you have to spend.......

I like the Emotiva Ultra 12 cause it is sealed and has a different sound then ported. (You do not necessarily hear it like you can hear a ported sub; you FEEL it kicking you).

As I mentioned; last year; I did about 2 months research before buying mine........

If you are thinking of upgrading; you have some really nice choices......

Edit: The Emotiva Ultra 12 is on sale for $429...... Considering the finish is now updated (Mirror Black instead of wood grain black); this is a nice deal.......

Examples?

Depends on how much you have to spend.......I like the Emotiva Ultra 12 cause it is sealed and has a different sound then ported. (You do not necessarily hear it like you can hear a ported sub; you FEEL it kicking you).

Thanks for the replies. Can you elaborate a little on sealed vs. ported? And possibly give a ported suggestion also?

Bill- The LFM-1 looks awesome, I'll definately be watching for deals on it

Thanks

Sealed enclosures are just that..... Sealed.

No port hole......

A ported sub "breathes" thrugh the hole as the woofer moves.

A sealed sub does not breathe.... Sealed requires more watts to move the same amount of air. (Not as efficien; because it is harder to move because the woofer is fighting against the cabinet/ compressed air in the cabinet).

As a rule; sealed subs can be more "musical"..... (By design the woofer rebounds faster due to the compressed air behind it).....

There are some ported subs that are excellent musically as well..... ED a2 300 is a good sub, HSU; etc.....

It is just a different sound though; so it comes down to user preference.....

(Sealed is less sound; more "feel it".....)

MY .02..... Other opinions will likely follow.....

Good Luck young Grasshopper..... [:)]

my LFM-1 Plus is ported but has a "port plug" so you can try it both ways...I believe the port allows the sub to get lower frequencies with the same size box...some find the un ported to be perhaps smoother (ooops...I see now that Ironsave actually explained that better than I did...)...I am by no means an expert on this but thought I'd share...the Subs Ironsave is mentioning are some of the same ones I considered myself...all good examples...

Bill