Scott 299 rebuilt vs stock 299

Loves Audio

I am new to this forum and just wanted to say how impressed I am with the sound of the scott 299. A friend of mine that is a member was running SS amps on his system so one day I brought over a stock 299 to his home for him to try. Well he was hooked.He used the scott to Bi-Amp his speakers. soon after that he bought a 222 that was done by NOS Valves. he loves his system. well I decided to Bi amp my Chourus 2. when I did I was running a McIntosh 2500 on the bass and a stock 299 with a Marantz 3600 preamp.

I just received my rebuilt Scott 299 ver. 2 back from Craig at NOS Valves from what he call a everything but the kitchen sink rebuild and I must say that this baby sound Great. I hooked it up to a pair of ADS 810 and let it fly. I have a stock rebuilt 299 that I A-B the sound and the rebuilt unit kicks some ***, Bass is tight and strong, Mids and highs are lush but detailed. I install a pair of NOS 7189 in the unit and noticed better base and a slight better Mids and Highs but the icing on the cake was a pair of NOS Telefunken smooth plates. That made everything smoother and even more detailed. I could hear more music but with no harshness. I then hooked the unit up to my main system which is a rebuilt Marntx 3600 preamp. Carver tube CD player, On a set of bi-amped Klipsch Chourus 2 with a McIntosh 2500 SS amp on the bass and the Scott 299 on the mids and highs. I can honestly say that I finally found my dream system. I can listen to Rock and smooth Jazz at 100 DB and not have my ears bleeding. When playing vocals it sounds even better.

My audiophile standards I am not a purest because I use tone controls on my Marantz 3600.but in less you listen to select music you will not enjoy quality sound. I can play Zeppelin to Jennifer Warrens to Dead Can Dance and with the turn of a knob increase my sound quality. I have tried the high end audio components with out tone controls and it sounds great only when I play certain CD and or albums. I know that I am opening up a can or worms here by saying that but that’s just my ears. Any ways if any of you need a Scott amp rebuild I would strongly recommend NOS VALVES for the job it may take 2 months to get it back but the wait is worth it. I am interested in hearing from other users of this fine amp and to see what tubes you may be running.

Welcome!

Sounds like you are having fun... my Scott 299b has been a blast the last year or so since I got it! It is hard to believe this thing is 50 years old (although Craig has put in plenty of new parts). I would go through some serious withdrawal if I had to go without it for 2 months!

Tubes are: 5ar4 - HH Scott; 7189 - Russian Military 6?14?-EB; 6BL8 - HH Scott; 12ax7 - Telefunken smooth plates

I've been slowly collecting some spare tubes over time but I haven't had any go bad yet. I only experimented a little with rolling tubes since I am pretty happy as is.

[:D]

I agree it was hard to wait that long for my amp but Craig had to locate and purchase a power transformer,Thats what took time, but once he got the transformer he got right on it. I want to try a pair of mullard long plates next. I like the telefunken smooth plates they are very detailed and smooth but I want to try the mullards because they may have the detail and the lushness I am looking for .All in all I love the sound. I am using my amp for the mids and highs so we will see what happens.

As for the bass amp The McIntosh 2500 is good but I have a friend that is willing to barrow me a Crown Micro Tech, from what I have heard the crown will tighten up the bass.

Mike,

Thanks for the comments I'm glad you're are enjoying the amp. Try those Mullards I think you might just find that sweet spot... but keep in mind it's your ears that count! tube rolling is very much a personal preference thing. I personally like the Telefunken's the best.

Craig

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum Mike, this is Ray.

I have the same experience with my bi-amped Forte's, certain recordings sound great while others sound so-so. I might have to try using my tone controls for a change with the so-so recordings.

Can't wait to hear your bi-amped Chorus's.

I am not a biamp dude since my 70s Audio Flynn days building and maintaning rock band PA systems.

You cannot fix so so recordings just play the good stuff. Tone controls getr less important as the thousands of listening hours pile up.

Any NOS Valves updated amp is a audiophile privilidge. I have had more oppurtunites to hear Craig's amps than most people since I his dogs let me in the lab to listen while he is asleep.[<:o)]