crossover 80 or 90?

chef73

Hi there

I have playing around with my crossover settings and found 90 to be a good setting, 100 sounds good to but at 100 you can start to localize the subs(i have three). I know everyone says 80 is the prefered setting but at 90 my speakers seem to have more life to them. Also anyone have any good tips on DIY bass traps ie: foam board insulation or sand columbs, any input would be helpful, Thank you

Hello!

Have you tried 70; 60 or even 50?

I have Heresies (they start rolling steeply around 45-50hz).

I have found 60 to be the best blend..... The Heresies get all but the lowest (rolling off) frequencies.

(It seemed like a logical theory after I experimented and found this result.)

So; I say try lower......

(Your RFs go lower than my H Is can).

You might have to adjust phase or distance (delay settings), to get the sub in time......

(It seems the lower I go; the sub hits "after" the speaker hits; progressive; 40 hz is later than 60; etc).

Good Luck.... Enjoy the experiment!

why dont you try lower than 80? see how that sounds. You have 3 subs going, all different brands, that can really muddy things up. I only say muddy up because each of them are accurate in different manners and have different outputs. Try with one sub and two and 3 and see what it sounds like. You have alot of things going on at once to try and troubleshoot what sounds sound best. Just a suggestion, may help you to your goal. Those rf-62's have a decent bass capability, what other settings have you got going on your receiver/processor

I have had the crossover at 60 and it sounded okay but at higher crossovers it just seems to feel more bassy. my center speaker only goes to 67hz but my mains go to 38hz the problem is my reciever does not have independent crossover settings. I run the auto set up which sets the delays and distance then i go back and and turn the eq off. Why not let almost all the LFE signal go to the subs?

ok well in your situation, that makes sense to mess with the bass like you are. Im spoiled and used to individual channel controls. I would put the xover at 70 then? I still think you should test with one sub at a time and see if it sounds cleaner and is more responsive. One thing to keep in mind is that the more the subs have to work on a wider freq band they will respond differently to bass. For instance, a sub just at 40hz will porduce nice crisp low. If you bump that up to 80hz, it will not depict those 40hz waves as well because its trying to do more things at one time. 80hz is the THX standard btw so its really not such a bad crossover.

Basically, whatever sounds best to you is the crossover you should keep it at. :) regardless of being technical, and this and that. What sounds best to you is what makes you happy right?

Hi there

I have playing around with my crossover settings and found 90 to be a good setting, 100 sounds good to but at 100 you can start to localize the subs(i have three). I know everyone says 80 is the prefered setting but at 90 my speakers seem to have more life to them. Also anyone have any good tips on DIY bass traps ie: foam board insulation or sand columbs, any input would be helpful, Thank you

Hi chef73,
I was using a Yamaha 663 prior to getting the UMC-1 and can tell you that the YPAO on that unit, and the adjustments you can do after the setup are very limited.
I've read that the newer Yamahas are better, that you can run YPAO and then save the results and adjust from there were with the 663 (as you know) you either use the YPAO results or you start over on your own. Not telling you to get a new receiver or a pre/pro, just saying if you do you'll probably be happy with the results.