Klipsch Heresy 2 + Sub Help

PAUL1979

Hi guys

Im relatively new here, and you will have to excuse my ignorance in the audio world (novice is an overstatement!), I recently aquired a pair of Heresy 2 (with new crites crossovers) that are fantastic, i am using them for my home DJ set up. I use a vintage Bozak DJ mixer and it is connected to a Emotiva UPA 2 channel amp. My question is how do i incorporate a sub bass into this set up (i was looking at maybe buying an emotiva sub-i think they are active subs)-how do this work in conjunction with the upa2 and the bozak mixer, and what is the best way to wire the configuration?

Apologies for the basic/simple questions, i would greatly appreciate any help or information

Thanking you in advance

Paul

Welcome to the forum. I don't know anything about your mixer but hooking up a sub shouldn't be a problem. Make sure the subwoofer amplifier has high level inputs. These are the connectors that will accept speaker wire inputs. Be careful as some subs only have RCA style inputs. Run speaker wires from your amp to the subwoofer high level inputs. There will be a set of L and R high level outputs that you run to your speakers. That's all there is to it.

Paul,

What exactly do you mean by "Home DJ"? DJ's usually don't play at home. If you practice on your rig at home, with the intent to haul it around with you and perform, that puts you into Pro Audio territory. That being said, if that's your ultimate intent, you need to purchase equipment commensurate with that goal.

To incorporate a subwoofer into your setup, you're going to need, at the very minimum, an active crossover (Rane, DBX, Behringer). You will also need a pro-audio grade horn-loaded sub worthy of accompanying your Hereseys the likes of Bill Fitzamurice, JTR, EAW, Danley, or Funktion One.

Attempting to use home audio equipment for pro-audio use is the path of the Darkside and will only leave you lacking in the end.

-Quiet_Holllow

Electronic crossover and power in one package. I have a couple of these (CPX900 and a CPX1500) and they work quite well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CREST-AUDIO-CPX900-DJ-POWER-AMPLIFIER-900-WATT-NEW-/170371266667?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27aaeb386b

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crest-Audio-CPX1500-1500W-Power-Amplifier-/230580887390?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35afb11f5e

They also make a CPX2600 and a CPX3800 for the power mad.

I took it as a home only set up and he's using the mixer as a type of a pre-amp. He has home speakers and a home amp. I could be wrong.

Hi guys thanks for the replies, CECAA850, thats exactly what i meant by "home dj", any more info would be appreciated [:D]

thinking of this B&W ASW610 Sub, as i dont have big bucks to spend

I took it as a home only set up and he's using the mixer as a type of a pre-amp. He has home speakers and a home amp. I could be wrong.

Hi guys thanks for the replies, CECAA850, thats exactly what i meant by "home dj", any more info would be appreciated [:D]

thinking of this B&W ASW610 Sub, as i dont have big bucks to spend

Welcome to the forum. I don't know anything about your mixer but hooking up a sub shouldn't be a problem. Make sure the subwoofer amplifier has high level inputs. These are the connectors that will accept speaker wire inputs. Be careful as some subs only have RCA style inputs. Run speaker wires from your amp to the subwoofer high level inputs. There will be a set of L and R high level outputs that you run to your speakers. That's all there is to it.

hey cecaa850

i am gonna buy a hsu stf1 (thanks for recommenation guys!), excuse my audio ignorance but when i hook it up (as per your directions above), does that mean the amplifier in the sub is powering both the sub and the speakers, are the speakers no longer powered by my emotiva sub or is the emotiva amp powering the speakers and the sub amp powering the sub (apologies if this seems like a stupid question)

if you could shed some light on this i would be greatful

Thanks

Sorry,

I am late to the thread.....

Been having car issues.... preoccupied with that......

I have the Emotiva Ultra 12.

Search on Google for the Reviews.

(Search here for mine).

EDIT: Emotiva U12 ONLY HAS RCA (and pro style) INPUTS.....

For the money; it's a damm good sub.....

I give it 5 stars.....

Any more questions; pm me.... (If you are in Chicago and wish to demo; let me know).....

Guest Anonymous

This is exactly how i have my KT-SWII setup, using high level inputs. Once i get my KPT working that will change.

Winkironslave, im still waiting to see the thread on that kg3 refinishing job...Wink

You mean the "dust collection job"..... lol......

[:P]

Once spring hits; I will get them completely sanded and square (with pics).....

Then I will attempt a walnut re-veneer.......

Life gets in the way.... and can't do it right now..... other issues afoot.......

(Like TOO MUCH SNOW....lol)

Guest Anonymous

Could someone explain to me how connecting the sub via hi-level inputs works? Does the amp in the sub drive both the sub and the speakers or does the system amp drive the speakers and the sub amp just drive the bass? Thanks alot!

The a side of the speakers have a left and right output.

left output goes to the left speaker, in parallel, run a second wire from the left output to the left input of the sub

right output goes to the right speaker, in parallel, run a second wire from the right output to the right input of the sub

Guest Anonymous

thats great, i really appreciate all the advice! what do u guys suggest regards setting the HSU STF1 crossover in order to get the best from the Heresy 2? once again, thanks for the tips....

the KT SWII sub i have doesnt allow for a xover frequency so i dont get to worried about it. having said that, the Heresy II will drop slightly at 50hz, and there is nothing below about 43to 45Hz. if you have an ability to adjust the crossover, i'd start with a band pass of 20hz and 80 hz. you can adjust settings from there to find the best settings for your ear.

We can only give you an idea, it seems that each person seems to have their own idea of where to cross etc. it is however up to the user and specific to the sound you are looking for.

Tell you one thing, Heresy II's are awesome speakers...Heritage rules...next its a set of Cornwalls...