Just bought a Panasonic SA-XR45 digital receiver

wuzzzer

what about the SA XR70???...I have seen that mentioned but also the XR700...typo or two separate models...wuzzzer...still diggin' yours???

Bill

Oh yeah. I'm going to have this receiver for a very long time. Tonight I got a chance to listen to some Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Poison and other music I listen to a lot. Absolutely pounds out the bass running only my Fortes. To my ears its the best my Fortes have ever sounded.

thanks...was just going to ask if they still make any of these as they seem to be popular...or maybe just the flavor of the day...it also explains some of the date stamps on reviews I had seen...I've got an SA XR70 coming to try out...this is, you know, you guys' fault... [;)]

Bill

Just got an email from a co-worker. I had bragged up my Panasonic so much he just bought an SA-XR70 on eBay. He said his current receiver doesn't sound nearly as good as any of the ones he's had in the past. I think he has JBL speakers. He wants me to come over and help him set it up when he gets it. It will be interesting to hear what he has once we get the Panasonic installed.

was just going to ask if they still make any of these as they seem to be popular...or maybe just the flavor of the day

The SA-BX500 is still in production, but is only sold in Europe. All the other XR's are out of production as of '08.

Wuzzer asked me how I liked the Panny. I gave him my thoughts. Next thing I know, there's re-newed interest on the forum.Oddly enough, the TI amplifier boards are still in production and used extensively by Panasonic in several of their recent HTIB product. I checked myself by dissecting one right at Best Buy in front of their Panasonic rep. It's a shame how many consumers will never know what they've got underneath the hood of their budget systems. Back in '01 my neighbor had an XR-10, and when we had house parties his system just sounded so friggin' good when cranked. I had an RX-V595 paired up with some NS-A2837's. They could go louder, but his system sounded a lot cleaner at über-levels. Had I known about the technology back then, I would've passed on the Yamaha a long time ago.

I think he has JBL speakers. He wants me to come over and help him set it up when he gets it. It will be interesting to hear what he has once we get the Panasonic installed.

Check out what model of JBL he has and make sure he's not trying to play his vinyl through the blasted thing. Their current floor models have very low sensitivity (~88 dB SPL @ 1 watt IIRC). So with only 18 dB of gain available, the XR's shouldn't be expected to work miracles like driving large bass transients at goofy levels into thirsty speakers such as planars, ribbons, dipoles, or sealed cabinets where some gnarly monoblock would normally be loafing along.

• 2 weeks later...