Automotive Clear For Final Finish

paul32579

I have some well-worn H1s in oak. I was going to strip, bleach, and clear them. I could re-veneer them, but I'm not into that just yet.

Or, I could paint them satin black after filling the pores with auto body putty.

Either way, I was going to spray them with Spies Hecker or DuPont auto clear coat and rub them out.

Anyone try this?

problem with auto paint on wood is that it chips easy.....it could look fantastic...but just needs kid glove handling....rounding off the edges with a router before painting to get rid of sharp edges helps prevent edge chiping. most paints allow 15% thinning, which I would recommend so that it soaks deeper into the wood.

Yes, that's a small sub, It's only about an 18 or 19 inch cube. I have 2 at home you could fit in and one that I built for my sons van that a couple of people could get in. The paint is just an automotive paint, base coat, clearcoat finish. I built the cabinet and bondo'd all the screw holes as well as any imperfections in the box. I had a friend spray it for me. All the exterior corners were hit with a round over bit.

I was an automotive refinisher for 25 years and have walls covered in show car throphies... I've also been a klipsch restorer for almost as long . My advise if your going to " Rub out " any finish on wood is to watch the " heat " generated when polishing . You'll raise the grain which will appear in the finish more like a craze or crack . I've done 100 of guitars and drum kits over the years .

MDF is very stable to finish in automotive Arylic Urathane but plywood is a crap shoot ...

Now you all have me thinking of finishing my sub the same way. Although I have never used an Automotive paint.

I have a sonotube sealed sub I am building and would like to atleast have that gorgeous looking silk black(piano finish) on the MDF pieces. I just recently sprayed them with some flat black paint because I got tired of looking at the MDF color. Although I have only done one of the 2.

I was at the local store here and they had fiberglass resin compound that I thought would be good for the sides. Anyways I'll shut up now. this isn't my thread but now I have alot of questions for Dale and others. How do you prep the MDF for the first coat of ....???........primer I guess?

I have never done something like this so please explain if anyone can or pm me. Thanks and sorry to ask so many questions on someone else's thread.

Now you all have me thinking of finishing my sub the same way. Although I have never used an Automotive paint.

I have a sonotube sealed sub I am building and would like to atleast have that gorgeous looking silk black(piano finish) on the MDF pieces. I just recently sprayed them with some flat black paint because I got tired of looking at the MDF color. Although I have only done one of the 2.

I was at the local store here and they had fiberglass resin compound that I thought would be good for the sides. Anyways I'll shut up now. this isn't my thread but now I have alot of questions for Dale and others. How do you prep the MDF for the first coat of ....???........primer I guess?

I have never done something like this so please explain if anyone can or pm me. Thanks and sorry to ask so many questions on someone else's thread.

Prep is simple , all your after is mechanical adheasion, so 240 - 180 grit on wood will give you plenty of tooth to grip any 2 component primer ... Once you sand out the primer you can go as fine as 320 to recoat with primer if needed . Finish sanding with P400 dry or 600 wet will give you a nice base for the finish to be applied ...

Wet sanding the clear coat with 1200 - 1500 grit to knock off texture , dirt, etc will facilitate a flattened out finish suitable for power polishing to a gleeming finish ... be extra carefull when polishing near edges , you can and will burn through the finish if your not carefull .

Dale