wire change for LaScalas

tom518ny

I've had my all original 1979 Scalas for 2 weeks now; I absolutely love 'em...but...I'm wondering if it would be useful to change out that white wire that looks like ordinary lamp cord! Would appreciate some advice; what would anyone recommend? Maybe I should just leave it the way it is! I will eventually go for new Crites crossover and maybe tweeter...but not yet.

Thanks,

Tom, Albany NY

if a difference occurs...it would probally be a result of disconnecting and reconnecting all the wires on the crossover board, which often accumulate corrosion. I know of at lease one case where removing and reconnecting woofer wires change a non working woofer to a working one.

After I get to know the Scalas a little better, I'm sure I will go for Bob's x-over too. I'm hoping that changeover, plus maybe his tweeter, will remove that bit of shrillness I hear on some recordings. Right now there are original AAs in there. My thanks to all who have responded to me!

Inspecting and cleaning the connections may be a good idea, along with checking the caps for leaks and hot spots on the boards.

Caps detiorate over time, I had a bunch replaced on my Mac Stack at the factory.

Doing some homework and replacing all of the caps may be a good and relatively inexpense project at some point.

One of the aftermarket crossover makers may be willing to advise you and sell you the caps or be willing to do the rework for you and mail your original crossovers back to you. One of the factory autorized repair depot companys will also do anything you want for money. They get bored with all of the warranty work they do and like to trick out products.

If they sound good, I would leave them alone after inspection unless or until you have a good reason.

Hope this helps

One of Bob Crites' suggestions for me is to replace the crossover with the one that drops it from 6000 to 4500, and his 125 tweeter; I think i will do that---the word "sweet" was used above to describe his new tweeter response---I like that word----I want mine to be sweet too! Thanks again to all.

it may or may not help. if you do decide, i would look at getting the monoprice brand but get the CL rated type. i would get the 12awg and remove the jacket on it. the reason why i would recommend them is the wire monoprice uses is 99.99% pure. that's really good for .15 cents a foot. there is better but your talking about $2 a foot.

you never know, replacing the wire and the crossover may be better than just replacing the crossover.

If you absolutely insist on modifying your vintage La Scalas, start with a pair of K-401's, then a pair of AL-3 networks. Those components will actually improve the resale value of the speakers along with improving the sound. Messing with the tweeter won't help. With all respect, there's nothing you can't do with EQ and a good working K77M that you can do with a Crites tweeter. For that matter, I recommend checking out Al Klappenberger's site for some structured perspective.