My New Klipsch HT system!

CombatChuk

Hey All,

Just got in my Reference 7 speaker theater almost set up...

RF-82 ii for my Front L&R

RC-62 ii for the Center

RS-52 ii for Side surrounds

and

RB-61 ii for Rear surrounds

These connect to my Pioneer Elite SC-37 AVR and my sub SV Sound's PB13-Ultra... Do these speakers have some kind of break in necessary?

• Moderators

Yes I would just take it easy and not watch any movies with a higher rating than PG-13. In a week or two you can move up to R. Have fun!

That was too funny.

Welcome to the forums. I agree with Dan. Crank em up and let em rip. Some people believe in the "break in" period for speakers...I personally think it's your ears adjusting to the sound, not the speakers actually changing.

Enjoy your new setup.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same system execpt for the sub, im using the klipsch SW-112 hooked up to a sony DA4300ES avr, the RF-82II bass will improve some after about 50 hours of play. the woofers surrounds and spiders do break in some what, It is really an amazing system! both on music and movies, what i notice most is the detail of the sound, its easy to hear thru complex passages to the single sounds of the music, A GREAT demo piece is the dvd from YES, House of YES live from house of blues. the 5.1 music track of Homeworld is a great way to show off your system, the bass at the end of the track really surprises everyone......

do speakers have break in periods? this is such a controversial subject. I believe they do. For instance, when i bought my nissan altima, my tweeters were harsh as crap, they really fatigued me for a while. Eventually they, they "warmed" up a bit. As said above, this could be your ears adjusting to it but who really knows. I take the stance of they take time to wear in. To me, they are brand new, the surrounds and spyders need to be worked alittle bit, just the get the materials warmed up. Be gentle with em for the first work, it cant hurt to be cautious at first.

Just my .02

I just bought my RF-62's and RC-62 and the guy at the store advised a 100 hour break in period. He did demo a brand new pair of bookshelf (rb-51's) vs the display models. They were hooked up to the same receiver. The displays had a more rich bass sound than the brand new ones. I am a novice on all this stuff, so just my observation.

• Moderators

I just bought my RF-62's and RC-62 and the guy at the store advised a 100 hour break in period.

Somehow I find humor in his suggestion. I mean, where did he pull that number out of? Why not 50 or 30 or 10 or none. I've never heard Klipsch mention a break in period and they are the one's making the product. Just my thoughts.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. He seemed fairly knowledgeable so who was I to argue. This is my first experience with relatively high end audio (at least for me). I just got them on Saturday and haven't had a chance to really open them up. So far I'm really impressed with the sound though. If it gets better after 50-100 hours even better.

Maybe break in period is not the best way to say it, I dont believe they require a break in period per say just that the bass ( and maybe to a lesser extent the treble ) will improve i.e. less harsh and more smooth after the cones get a few miles on them, as far as the actual time, everyone has there opinion, i was told about 50 hours, reguardless, i have well over 50 hours now, and they do sound better now then when they were brand new, smoother treble and slightly better,more extended bass, thanks for listening!

IMHO speaker break in is like seconds for tweeters, minutes for midrange, and hours for woofers. Possibly days on big diaphragm planar and electrostatics. I subscribe to the Brain audio break in as the major audio issue personally. Oh, one last thing, they all seem to sound better if I got a really good deal on them! Of course a Klipsch logo never hurts either however Bose seems to be immune to that effect...