Question on K22's in Heresy's

wdrazek

I have an opportunity to pick up a clean pair of HBR's at a good price but am a little concerned that I could be buying a Frankenpair. The owner says that the serial numbers are not sequential but what concerns me more is that the magnet on one of the woofer's in round and the other one is square. How different are these and are they compatible within the same speaker pair? Thanks.

one square mag and one round is about as Franken as you can get (within Klipsch.)

I think they (the new round mags) sound a bit different than the older square Mag K-22/K-22E/K-22EF.

If your round mag is a K-22R (made by Rola) is the closest (in time) to the square mag ones...

The cost of a good used Klipsch K-22 to replace the mis-timed one is around $50.

I would not pass up on a pair of (otherwise) nice Heresys for $50...

What are the serial numbers on them, then we can tell you if the round ore the square woofer is "correct" for the age.

Noah

PS:

Make note of the crossover number (C,D,E or E2)

the mid squawker (K-55V, K-52H, K- 53)

and the tweeter (K-77, K-77M)

We can tell you what goes with what.

Thank you very much. The tweeters are supposed to be K77's and the mid squawkers I was told are the same in both but the SN#'s and the mid identities have not been disclosed. As for the crossovers.... I've been communicating for a day and a half so far and my thought was just to go with Crites rebuilds if I am comfortable enough with the rest of the pair. It's unlikely they have been upgraded and need to be redone anyway...

Sounds Sketchy.

So here is a list of what goes with what (basically.)

From Oldest to Newest:

"C" crossover

K-55V mid

K-77 (round mag) tweeter.

K-22 Square mag and often, an orange surround.

Next oldest:

"D" crossover

K-55V mid

K-77 (round mag) tweeter.

K-22 Square mag.

Next oldest:

"E" crossover

K-55V mid

K-77 (round mag) and at the very end of the E crossover time, the rectangular K-77M tweeter.

K-22E or EF Square mag or at the end of the E crossover use the K-22R (Rola) round mag.

Newest and the last of the original Heresy (before the Heresy II):

"E2" crossover

K-52H with metal K-700 horn or (at the end of the Heresy 1,) K-53 mid with "plastic" (composite) K-701 horn.

K-77M rectangular mag tweeter.

K-22R round mag (for only a short time at the start of the E2 crossover) and then (later) the K-22E round mag.

Thanks, that is very helpful. The seller has assured me that the only difference is in the woofer magnet, and that all other parts are identical. I haven't (dared) to ask about the crossovers since I figured they would need to be redone anyway. What I wanted to determine was if they likely came from the same version of H1. The date codes I was given are not consecutive but both date to 1981.

The woofer differences indicates that either they are of the same vintage and one of the woofers went out and was replaced or they are seriously Franked-up. Hmmm.