Alcorn Crossover Point

tagger

I'm mating Altec 902-8b's with Bob Crites' CW1526C woofers for a two-way Alcorn. For those that have done this, what crossover point did you use? I planned to cross between 600 and 800, but I'd love to hear from some that have used this driver combo in a two-way before I buy parts.

Cheers!

Joe

Guest David H

Joe, There are few horns with good coverage from 600- 20k. As I recall Bobs woofers perform well up to 800 hz, so crossover points would depend largely on the horn. Hopefully the 2 way guys will chime in with more info.

Dave

Guest David H

It seem there is alot of info to sift throught with the Altec 511 horn, although general consensus is to crossover around 800hz.

I am have no clue as to the 511's upper extension however I though this was best used in a 3 way configuration.

Alot of Klipsch memebers have used this horn I am sure more info will surface.

Dave

Here's the plot I did with a K55 jury-rigged to an Altec 511 horn. The plot was using an old analog X-Y plotter and swept sine wave so it looks a lot different the the way I do it these days. The lower plot was the K500 horn of the Belle. Both were done sitting on a chair withOUT any mounting flange. The K500 and K400 horns depend on the flange for the low end. That's why the bad response of the K500.

BTW: The Altec 511 and 811 are very good sounding horns. I have used both.

AL K.

post-2934-13819637435756_thumb.jpg

Will choosing a higher crossover point improve the 902's output at the highest frequencies, say between 15kHz and 20kHz? I ordered parts for a 600Hz 2nd order crossover but am now wondering if 700 or 800 would have been a wiser choice.

I'm mating Altec 902-8b's with Bob Crites' CW1526C woofers for a two-way Alcorn. For those that have done this, what crossover point did you use? I planned to cross between 600 and 800, but I'd love to hear from some that have used this driver combo in a two-way before I buy parts.

Cheers!

Joe

Joe,

There is a ton of posts on the 902/511b - Alcorn combo. Opinions, spec's, sweeps and the like. The opinions are all over the place in context. There is a sweep showing the 902/511b crossed at 400hz that looks pretty good. There are some that look pretty bad crossed below 800hz. Like I said, they are all over the place but I tend to agree with ALK.

This is not a recommendation, just my experience with my Alcorns. I ran them in three way so I can't speak about the HF. First I had them crossed 1st order and hammered them without a prob. Then at 600hz a little steeper as I recall and then at 600hz ESN. They sounded good in every configuaration. A respected forum member visited when they were at 400hz and praised the midrange.

When I got the dbb's I used the 902/511b for a while with the DBB 450hz ESN. I also listened to the 511b/902 atop seti's Jub clones and there was no lacking of top end.

I evaluate midrange from female vocals. Now this is just me and my ear, but with a reflex bin I want to keep (as much as possible) of the LF in the bin and the mids in the horn.

Again, only my experience, opinion and two cents.

tc

Good points all around. I believe I ended up using Al's 2nd order crossed at 700Hz, and that worked. I also think the GPA 902s don't reach as low as the original Altecs. Just speculation, but I've heard from others that agree. As far as the high end of the 902, I thought it sounded great up high, better than the k-77 or the Eminence/ Crites tweeters (though those aren't slouches). I did have to apply a series RC to balance the sound. The 902s are a tipped down a bit.