To those using the Parts Express Amp W/ the JBLs

Vavoline

Is anyone having problems with the PE amp overheating and thermals shutting it down? I can only get through 3-4 songs before mine trips off. This is with the volume set at 50 %. ( I had to get the remote controll amp, guess they had a pretty good run on the standard model) I have to have a 12 inch fan on MEDIUM blowing across the cooling fins to keep it running w/ music. It does fine for HT. Other than this, this is one KILLER setup. It will shake every part of my house, including the concrete slab.

I've tried everything the PE techs suggested to no avail. I think I will ship it back for an exchange and try my luck.

One of the techs suggested the line outs from my pre-amp may be " Too Hot". I hope it's just a defective amp.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

JMON...Hey neighbor, it took 8 days to get my order to Dallas. This included a weekend.

I have the same P.E amp you have with the 4638 and have not had any problems. I have had it about a month and have played it for extended times and have not had a problem. It gets a little warm, but not any warmer than you would expect. I am using an Onkyo TX-DS797 with KLF-30's.

Benny

Even after cranking Eurohouse, IDM, or Japanese techno mixes for 2-4 hours, NO problem.

If you want to know, for comparison, the power supply is "hot" but I could keep my hand on for an hour. The heatsink is barely warm to the touch.

You should get an exchange. Mine is great, and I too run it at about the 12 o'clock position and NEVER have thermal problems. Considering the fan you have on it (I have nothing, obviously), it must be fubar'ed.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Neither of mine have tripped (although I've only had the second one active for less than a week). I'll do some hand testing and report back.

CT

------------------

=====================================

Charlie Tuna's A/V rig:

Front mains Klipsch Forte IIs

Front center Klipsch KLF-C7

sub/woofer JBL 4638 cabinet

Front effects Klipsch Quintets

Rears Klipsch Quartets

TV Pioneer SD-P4565 rear projection

Power Monster HTS 500 MKII

A/V Amp Yamaha DSP-A1

CD Nakamichi CDC-300 (200 cd changer)

DVD/CD Toshiba SD-3109

VCR Panasonic HI-FI model

CATV TWC Digital Cable/cable modem

Speaker wire Monster OMC 12G

Interconnects Monster MVSV3 Super Video/MB300SW Bass/ILS200 lightspeed/Interlink 400 MKII/MV2R RCA

A/V rack Studio Tech, Inc. Model PS-6 B/B

Pioneer SX-255R Receiver to power patio speakers, Boston Acoustics Voyagers

You can tune a radio, but you can't tuna fish!

=====================================

Well I have a different little problem. When watching TV at what I would consider a medium volume level, the amp cuts out as if on auto shutoff. If I turn it up for a moment she kicks back on. Any suggestions besides watching TV louder or just switching the amp to "on" versus "auto"?