New La Scala Video

Quiet_Hollow

Hot off the press. The video highlights the recent addition of an SVS AS-EQ1 linear-phase DSP. Now that I've got all the kinks worked out, time to let it rip on camera! [H]

Notes:

Footage was shot over a couple months, hence the seasonal change of goodies on the end table stage left thanks to the girlfriend.

First scene was filmed using a MiniDV cassette and you can clearly hear the tape transport mechanism onboard. Subsequent footage was taken with the camera plugged directly into my laptop (no tape) using Firewire. It reduced the noise floor so much that in the scene with the music from Hybrid, if you listen closely enough, you can hear the motor in the Blu-Ray disc player.

Cheers,

Quiet_hollow

I don't want to rain on your parade. I looked at this video and a few others that popped up on the side suggest list. Was expecting some time captures of a build or something video in nature. The audio thing being represented on youtube really does not work well since almost everyone who looks at these is doing so from a computer with a 2" speaker.

I don't want to rain on your parade.

Sure you do. Just 30 minutes online, and you've already brought the hate along with a nice blanket statement. The build was covered in a thread here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/163380-volvotreter-20hz-tapped-horn-build-pics.html For crying out loud, it's a video showing some speakers playing music. If it was solely about cabinet construction or appreciation, I would've titled it "Roy Underhill builds a sub"Posted Image

Help me understand this......what was I supposed to hear thru my 2" speakers? Or did I miss something and this was just supposed to be a visual thing? The speakers looked very nice.

• Moderators

Or did I miss something and this was just supposed to be a visual thing?

I think you missed it. [:D]

Think about it, we all love posting pics and always encourage folks to post pics of their system. He just chose to post a video. We all realize we can't hear what he's hearing. Even the best mic in a handheld camera cannot reproduce what he is hearing. This is just a different way of someone sharing their excitement for their gear. [;)]

From a former Club DJ & video/film production veteran's point of view That was actually not bad for a tube video audio wise. Typically sub bass audio ends up wayyyy to hot.

If you had a sub at home listening to this it worked as far as the limited audio allowed. I enjoyed the examples and will try your clip choices with my DVD's & system. Good job pulling off a interesting demo.I want a bigger sub sooo bad..

Thanks guys! I fussed around quite a bit to get it sounding this way. From airplanes, trains, neighbors, the cat, my refrigerator, cell phones, the HVAC,...it becomes daunting to get things quiet enough around here to film because the camera picks up everything. Other times, I think I've got the wrap on a cool vignette, but once it's on film, it still doesn't sound right...frustrating yet perplexing to say the least. I understand it's a little quiet. I've been experimenting with that honestly. It's been a ballet when setting the gain structure. ~70dB SPL at the mic, and CD music comes across hush, but Blu-rays with their "take-no-prisoner" dynamics can still overwhelm the audio track when scenes pick up the pace. Inception was recorded at -23 dB from reference and the bass line still saturated the mic![:o]

I want a bigger sub sooo bad..

I hear ya..I was there three years ago.

Inception was recorded at -23 dB from reference and the bass line still saturated the mic!Surprise

Chris Nolan LOVES his LFE track. Never more apparent than in Inception. The gunshots rip through your chest and the "kick" scenes make your entire body shake. Very entertaining film.

Nice video, thank you for sharing it!