Inside a Belle Klipsch we find?

WMcD

There have been lots of descriptions of the construction of the bass section of the LaScala.

Can anyone advise regarding the Belle? I am under the impression the overall geometry is the same, with alterations of depth and width.

On the other hand, from time to time there are claims it uses a set up where the woofer fires forward.

Thanks for any info.

Gil

Gil,

The doghouse is set up on a BK the same as on a LaScala, but it is, as Al says, not as deep. It is also more difficult to build, because corner blocks are used inside of it, instead of it just being nailed together. This means clamping and then installing PRE-DRILLED corner blockes to the section at the front of the doghouse...pretty tricky compared to the lascala. The doghouse sections are the most difficult assemblies on these speakers, because the cabinet is built around them...if they arent built square, then the cabinet wont go together right. The front panel of the BK doghouse has no visible nail holes to the front, so that in itself necessitates the reinforcing interior corner blocks. When i was there, the reinforcing corner blocks in the doghouse were made of fir...ripped out of 2x4's...knot free. THe same for the interior corner blocks on the K-horn at the top and bottom of the front panel where the trapezoids mounted up to the front panel.

Generally a builder of lascalas would complete his cabinets for the day and then begin building up the doghouses he needed to have for the next day with any time he had left over, but BK's were built up in pairs...the two doghouses first, then the first outer cabinet was built up using the first doghouse completed. Often the doghouse sections for one pair of BK's was built up while waiting for glue to dry on sections of the previous pair...it is important that the glue has set up completely on doghouses before using them to build the cabinet around...i am sure you understand.

One of the reasons for the much higher cost of the BK over the lascala is assembly time...the main reason!!!!!...the other is the cost of materials...those veneered panels aint cheap!!!

K&A no longer provides an option for customers to get rosewood or ebony, etc...in their K-horns, LaScalas, or heresys...tree-hugging entered the management, ie., rainforest woods dont get used anymore. That is sad, because there ARE managed forests that these woods come from, now...and BKs are gorgeous in rosewood!!!...so are k-horns!!!!

Thanks guys. That corrected a long held misconception on my part. I was one of the folks who was spreading the mis-information that the Belle was a "tri-fold" with the woofer pointing forward.

Someone once told me that being certain about something was being wrong at the top of your voice.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Ray is somewhat hardware challenged at this moment in time. Had to sell the Bose Wave Radios along with the other stuff. Frown.gif

Currently using Sennheiser HD600 headphones driven by an old, but surprisingly good sounding Rotel integrated amp, an RA820BX2. Amp is interesting in that the headphone output is not some op amp like most inexpensive gear, but is actually driven by the same output section that drives the speakers. The speaker binding posts and the headphone jack are wired in parallel.

I tried SQ back in the, uh, early 70's? Don't really remember... when was WPLR's tag line "Rock Yours in Quad"? Didn't like any matrixed 4 channel systems. Wound up with multi-channel system based on Hafler lash-up (rear channel derived by taking amp's left positive output to left rear speaker positive input, left rear speaker negative input to right rear speaker negative input, right rear speaker positive input to amp's right positive output), which results in a non-time-delayed ambience recovery signal coming from behind you. Also tends to blow up amplifiers.

Bose Wave Radios are WONDERFUL. They make GREAT coasters. The little ridges on the top allow the condensation on the outside of the beer mug to drain away without creating the little circle of water under the mug.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System