Klipschorns with Audyssey MULT EQ XT

garyrc

Has anyone used Audyssey MultEQ XT with Klipschorns ....or the Audyssey FLAT option in MultEQ XT with Khorns? How did you like the results? Any measurements to share?

Will the fact that K-horns are time misaligned screw up Audyssey?

Someone told me that the maximum misalignment (the amount the woofer is delayed comapred to the tweeter) in the Khorn is 8.4 ms, or 0.0084 seconds, and the Audyssey graphs start at 0.02 seconds.

• Does anyone know if the 0.0084 second delay is the true value for the Khorn?
  • Does all of the above mean that, even with rounding off, the Audyssey doesn't start to correct the time domain untill twice the delay (0.02, rather than the 0.01 .... rounded up .... delay due to the different path length of woofer through bass bin v.s. tweeter in the Khorn ) therefore Audyssey won't have a problem with the Khorn?
Thanks

Does anyone know if the 0.0084 second delay is the true value for the Khorn?

The delay of the Khorn bass bin relative to the tweeter is found in the linked article, at the top of the fourth page.

Does all of the above mean that, even with rounding off, the Audyssey doesn't start to correct the time domain until twice the delay (0.02, rather than the 0.01 .... rounded up .... delay due to the different path length of woofer through bass bin v.s. tweeter in the Khorn ) therefore Audyssey won't have a problem with the Khorn?

I believe Audyssey is meant to correct for speakers placed in a room at differing distances from the listener. I've not seen it used to time-align drivers within a single speaker. That may be why the Audyssey's minimum delay setting is more than twice the time misalignment of the Khorn bass bin relative to its tweeter. I recommend an active crossover for time alignment of speaker drivers (a well known entry-level unit is the Behringer DCX2496), and the Audyssey for time alignment of the multiple speakers in the room--in AVR fashion.

Chris

Audyssey will not 'time align' drivers. It has no way to do that since the drivers in the Khorn are all controled by the crossover. Audyssey will set delays for the various speakers so that the timing of sound out of the various speakers will reach the listener at the appropriate time. I have used the basic MultiEQ with Khorns and it worked just fine if you take care to place the microphone at a height that allows Audyssey to get a good read on the tweeters. Since they tend to be above a listener's ear level, you will need to place the mic a little higher than recommended. If you don't, you may find that your bass is attenuated unnecessarily by Audyssey.

I currently use Audyssey Pro with my system and all my drivers and subs are time aligned via an active crossover.