Line noise help

dddpsd

I am trying to figure out a loud snap noise that comes through both channels. I never heard it with just my old Denon DRA-1035R receiver but it is very annoying now that I am using a used Nakamich TA-2A for the pre-amp and to drive the horns in my KLF-20s and the more powerful Denon for the bass. I have plugged everything into a dedicated circuit and still get it both randomly and when other appliances turn off.

Will a "power conditioner" remove this and if so, does i have to be a $300 + unit?

Many power conditioners can anctually increase the noise. If you buy one make sure you get a 100% money back deal with it.

I would put a snubber on each appliance, a line rated 0.1µF cap with a 100 ohm 1/2W resistor in series with it. Put this series combo in parallel with the switch contacts.

"Candidates for the Darwin Award should not read this author."

What you have is probably being caused by some kind of ground loop somewhere in the power circuit. A dedicated circuit is great ~ but ideally it should also have it's own isolated ground.

Assuming you do not have an isolated ground for the dedicated circuit try using only ONE ground point, preferably at the power outlet. All other component power plugs should have their ground wire "lifted". The ground on all the components (expect for the one providing power to other components) should be "floated". Use a three to two prong adaptor available from most hardware and electrical supply stores including Radio Shack.

It could also be that one of the components has the wrong power plug polarity although this is rarely a problem on modern equipment with power plugs that only allow one orientation. If you have any components with the older style plugs you might want to test the polarity.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/acpolarity.html

And then of course, the noise may be "air bourne" RFI Radio Frequency Interference in which case you may have to resort to other methods at the source(s) such as DJK described.

I'd try isolating and floating the grounds with the adaptors first as this is the easiest and doesn't cost much. It's amazing how ground noise can find it's way around even with equipment turned off.

"What you have is probably being caused by some kind of ground loop somewhere in the power circuit"

I doubt it.

The reciever in question probably has a poor power supply rejection ratio. When I sold HK of that vintage it had the same problem, even the turntable shutting off would generate a 'pop'. A Yamaha did not. I spent a lot of time trying to get rid of the 'pop'. In the end I took back the HK on a Yamaha.

My Nakamichi TA2 is on loan to a friend, he loves the way it sounds, but it is sensitive to line noise.

"What you have is probably being caused by some kind of ground loop somewhere in the power circuit"

I doubt it.

Don't doubt it. I've experienced this first hand, numerous times, playing live in bands, in my dedicated listening room and in my office when editing and mixing recordings on PC that I've recorded live-in-concert, and when recording live-in-concert at certain facilities.

Having the system grounded at one and ONLY ONE point, and letting all of the other grounds float and seek their own level is fundamental to obtaining lowest system noise and is the first thing that should be done.

And if that doesn't help, you might even try lifting the ground at the power outlet with a 3 to 2 prong adaptor as well.

After that is done and if the problem remains then you can worry about the other factors you've mentioned which are far more time consuming and expensive to pursue.

And don't fall into the fallacy believing that all homes/buildings are wired properly. They are not. Professional electricians can make mistakes just like anyone. Some home owners make changes themselves thinking they know what they are doing. Building electrical codes vary with location and have changed over the years as well as electrical standards for the components themselves.

"I've experienced this first hand, numerous times, playing live in bands, in my dedicated listening room and in my office when editing and mixing recordings on PC that I've recorded live-in-concert, and when recording live-in-concert at certain facilities."

Ground loops and pops and snaps when outside equipment is turning on and off are two different issues.

I own the unit under discussion, I was the authorized service center when they were new, and I am a paid to design amplifiers.

I respect your experience with bands, I was a designer of PA equipment and a FOH engineer for many years.