Question on TT Brand

Rivernuggets

For $5.99 at Savers there is a used Realistic LAB12 turntable, with an 'Acutex' cartridge. Says it's made in Great Britain. Looks like everything is intact, but not sure if it works.

I don't own a TT and have a very small vinyl collection from the early 90s. Would this Realistic be an OK way to get into vinyl, or pass on it and never look back?

Or should I hold out for something like Jhoak's recently sold Technics turntable?

The Realistic Lab 12 is a pretty "low end" all plastic changer build by BSR. It'll play records but that's about all. I'm not sure about the cartridge though.

Even at $6 I would pass on it but I'm kind of snobby about turntables. Really what do you have to lose by trying it?

Assuming that it does work and it doesn't need a new stylus I would be sure to put on my most "sacreficial" record first. If anything is screwed up on it could trash a record pretty badly.

And then there's the obvious question. Does your preamp / receiver/ whatever have phono connections? If not you're looking at the expense of adding some manner of phono preamp. Unlike todays low end tables that one does not have a built in preamp.

Hi rivernuggets,

I have an old technics that I bought new in about 1980. I put it back in service a yr ago and it has been working well. Not top of line but it plays the records well. You can find these for not much $$$ all over.

Mine is a SL-D2. It has auto return and a nice tone arm lift. It's direct drive which isn't premo but I use mine for just my old albums and some stuff I pick up at goodwill and garage sales. They are fun to play and very inexpensive. I just put a new cart on it I think it was a shure m97x. Kind of an all around truckster. Sounds good, though I'm not a real audiophile. I think I've lost too much hearing.