Vertical Heresy Center

My uncle is thinking of using a Heresy as his center channel, between two Cornwalls, with Heresy surrounds (do not remember the sub). As he is a woodworkers, and so is my dad, we have discussed making a "vertical" heresy. While discussing this with another forum member, it was mentioned the Klipsch made a prototype of this. I was wondering if anyone had any information about this. The cabinet will change some, but interior volume will be the same. Any suggestions are welcome. The cabinet will be built, and all internal components taken from another Heresy (The cabinet is really beat up and will be refinished). Bring on the comments.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a great idea. Since I am not building and you asked for comments here goes. I am pretty sure that the hest horizontal dispersion with the mid horn of a Heresy will be in the horizontal position and thats what you want in a HT. If your Heresy has a T35 or a K77 horn those are deffraction horns and I am told they have better horizontal disperssion when mounted vertically so thst's how I would mount the tweeter. Pretty easy for you to find out. build a couple of small baffles which fir the two horns one both horns vertical and the other horizontal mid and vertical tweeter then rig up a test and have a good listen moving about the room at the seated height to simulate viewing locations. One ot two switches should tell you what you want to know.

I hope that you consider making the new cabinetswith braces and stiffeners as the stock cabinet is just a box. I woulld build with 5/8" birch ply outter layer and 1/2" inside layeruse a compliant adhesive whichdoes not harden solidlike green adhesive or other acoustical adhesive so the two layers canhave some internalenergy loss. If you have the physical room there is a larger cabinet desifn which will allow your Heresy to make bass designed by one of the forum members. This would especially be nice for the centre channel. I can give you the link if you are interested.Upgrade the networks and you are done and good for about 50 years. That should do. Best regards Moray James.

Ok so we are saying with the new cabinet, the tweeter should be vertical in the listening position, or horizontal. I was thinking both horns would be turned. But could probably try it both ways. As I am building a cabinet from the ground up, it will be an improvement over the typical "box" design I hope. I actually plan to go back and modify/improve the heresy cabinets I have currently by making them seal better and some dampener in the cabinets to reduce standing waves as well. Klipsch makes great stuff, and we just make improve what we can. Changing capacitors is coming up soon for the whole line-up and I will improve the cabinets as I go I am guessing. Thanks for the comments.

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/50919/1490806.aspx

hope this helps...looking forward to hearing how yours turns out...I use three Heresys across the front for my Home Theater but all oriented upright...I had treid the Center on its side and found it directional for me...changing the motor board as you are doing should cure that ill...

Bill

Well the stock Heresy mid is 80 degrees horizontal and 30 degrees vertical so you don't want to mount that vertically or you will be narrowing your sweet spot and getting too much bounce off the floor and ceiling. the tweeter is 90 degrees horizontal by 40 degrees vertical and that would be for it mounted in a vertical position. The T35 and K77 are diffraction horns and are not the same as the k75,76,79 and such which are designed to be mounted long way horizontal. Bob Critis tells me that the CT125 is an excellent tweeter upgrade for the Heresy providing flat output out to 20K.The CT125 has an identical diffraction horn to your stock unit but has a much better compression driver made by Eminence. Bob also advised mounting the horns flush to the front of the cabinet . I know PW said it did not make a difference but I would disagree. Hope this helps to make my comment clearer. Best regards Moray James.

Since your starting from ground up, I would scrap the k-77 and k-700 as center channel and instead use an ST-350 as a tweeter and an Altec 811B as a mid horn. Wider dispersion pattern.

Works for me but I don't know that it gains enought to justify the associated compromises. see here below

http://alteclansingunofficial.nlenet.net/proloudspeakers/sectoralhorns/511B&811B-Data.pdf

You are only picking up 10 degees extra in horizontal dispersion though I am sure the Altec is a better sounding horn it won't match the others in the HT system. A ST350 is also a better horn tweeter but the CT125 is probably cheaper to buy and again matches the others. I suppose one could look for a bunch of K400 horns as there are plenty on the market cheap and that is a larger horn with a 90 degree horizontal dispersion patern which would run perfectly with the stock mid compression driver. You would need to make all the mids match so new cabinets all around. Its a lot of extra work for an extra 10 degerrs of horizontal. I kind of think given the situation the stock Heresy mid horns are probably going to do fine job. On the bright side there will be ten degrees less room bounce to deal with in the horizontal and ten degrees less in the vertical and that work for me too. Best regards Moray James.

Here is the general thought process behind these "vertical" heresy:

Cabinets are out of 3/4" oak plywood.

Rear panel has 5-Way binding posts set into the cabinet.

Midrange(K55 with K7000 horn) and Woofer (K-22) are front mounted onto cabinet face.

The K-77 tweeter is mounted behind the Motor Board.

The front and rear panels can come off but it is 16 screws each.

All component and panels have weather seal to make sure of an air-tight seal.

That is the start.

If I was doing it I'd do two things-

slam the tweet and mid as tight together as possible

get the Z brackets to move the K77 to front of motor board.

Michael,

How would you maintain the Heresy cabinet as a sealed box if you use z-brackets for the tweeter?

Bob Crites

I would have loved to front load the tweeter, but did not use "z" brackets. Wanted a fully sealed cabinet. If i had gotten parts from a heresy II or III (or tangent) that are front mounted, it would have been great.

As for putting the tweeter and midrange closer, I am a fan of doing this for the center channel.

As my uncle has not finished his motorboard, that is most likely what we/he will do.

I am using these as surrounds in a 7.2 channel system. I will get pictures of it up.

Both cabinets have been built.

They need to be stained (oak).

After staining, the drivers will have foam added to complete the seal.

The inside needs to have matting to keep from standing waves. It will be added on three sides as well.

Grills will also be made. The fronts have 3/4" to 1/2" round on it so a grill can be added easily.

Thinking of getting grill material, any recommendations. Or is it back to Crites again?

Leaving for the weekend so this project will be on hold after today.

Already sound great as surrounds (laterals) with Chorus II rears, La Scala fronts, Hersey Center with everything run by Carver Amps.

So I was able to pick up a set of Tangent 500. These have the Heresy II components plus a passive. I was thinking about re-cutting a motor board and front loading both horns and the woofer. The horn is made to sit right up against the woofer, so we will see how we do it.

If that is what we do, the horns will be closer together.

I have a question for those who are following this thread, would you place a heresy upright in the center or one of the "Vertical" Heresys? I know it is hard to say without hearing.

I ask here because that single Heresy in the front center in one colterphoto1 sold me.