La Scala with Altec 511 horn

Croc

What is the function of the inductor across the secondary side of the auto transformer? I have seen this in some other Klipsch networks namely the KLF 30. The KLF 20 does not have this inductor but the KLF 30 does. So what does it do exactly? Thanks and best regards Moray James.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is the function of the inductor across the secondary side of the auto transformer? I have seen this in some other Klipsch networks namely the KLF 30. The KLF 20 does not have this inductor but the KLF 30 does. So what does it do exactly? Thanks and best regards Moray James.

It converts what would be a 6db per octave network to a 12db per octave one

it looks to me that 511 is too much incompatible with La Scala.

i'm more and more leaning to getting Fastrac 2 horn which according to Dave is completely "plug and play"...

Dave would know best about his horn. What you are trying to do would have been plug and play if you had an ab-2 or al-2/al-3 network.

it looks to me that 511 is too much incompatible with La Scala. i'm more and more leaning to getting Fastrac 2 horn which according to Dave is completely "plug and play"...

...What you are trying to do would have been plug and play if you had an ab-2 or al-2/al-3 network.

i don't want to go for radical xover change - so just being curious - how this would work?
i've seen in this thread that 511 doesn't go very well below 500 hz and La Scalas bass bin doesn't go very well over 400 hz...

1. i had AA originally and A sounds to me way better.

2. still i'm curious how this suppose to make 511 work in LS given neither of them is good in 400-500 Hz range (according to what's been stated in this thread).

I ran my La Scala's for years with 511B horns, and they were a significant improvement over the K400 horn. Now granted, I had ALK Universal crossovers and just needed to adjust the tap settings to dial down the horn. I never felt there was a gap in the midbass, and they more than made up for it in the midrange.

Mike

An Altec 511B is 18-1/2" deep and has more mouth area than a K400.

The Fc of the 511B based on its 1/4W length is about 183hz, it should be smooth about an octave higher than this (driver permitting).

• 5 months later...

just to update and close the loop - eventually i went for Dave's Fastrac 2 horn.

they achieve what i was looking for - natural midrange with high clarity and low distotion plus seamless integration with the bass section.

i wasn't aware that stock K55 phenolic driver sounds so good...

The Belle Klipsch used the same networks with a 500 hz K500 horn, the LS Bass bin goes up over 500 Hz with ease.

This does not sound like a question...but I'll answer it anyway....the Belle and LaScala uses different types of bass bins. The belle's has a 3 sided dog house that has a gradual flair after the first turn. The LaScala has a 5 sided dog house, which has a 6" or so restricted straight section after the first turn, and as a result, the horn flair is not gradual, it's what we call fast. The straight section serves no postive audio purpose, it's just there so that the woofer will fit in the dog house, with out it, you could only get a 12" woofer in the lascala dog house. This straight section is the cause of the -10db dip at 500hz in this image. This straight section is not needed in the Belle since the Belle is wider that the LaScala and a 15" woofer fits very easy in the Belle dog house. So the Belle does not have the -10db dip at 500hz. In light of the -10db dip, and in light of the fact that the k-400 has a response range that begins at 230hz, it should be clear why a horn that begins at 500hz like the 511, leaves a lot to be desired in the mid bass area when compared to a k-400.

Thank you for your question.

Does putting a trianglar piece in the the rear corners help improve the Dip at 500hz?

La Scala Triangle Sheet1.pdf

Does putting a trianglar piece in the the rear corners help improve the Dip at 500hz?

it's not recommended to put the 45 degee flats in the corners of a stock laLscala becuase doing so will reduce the width of the exit path at the turn point. If you want to go with 45 degee turns, you have to build it into the design and increase the width of the cabs to account for the loss of path width.

if you don't get rid of the straight sections, you will always have upper mid bass loss.