Vaulted ceiling, home theater installation... help please.

sonny49

Hello all,

I am looking for layout advice for a home theater (for my stereo equipment and tv) and have an unusually shaped room.

Ok, what I have (for a room) is a 12 x 13 foot square room with large openings on each side; one opening leads into a den and the other to the dining area (neither sides have doors, just wide open). The ceiling is vaulted from side-to-side with about an 8 to 12 foot graduation. So, if I were stand up against the back wall of the room and facing the TV - I would have an 8 foot wall to my right and a 12 foot wall to my left.

I was bequethed 4 r-3650-c Klipsch Speakers and 2 JBL HTI8 speakers. I have an Electrician hired to do this install; I am looking for help with the layout.

By the way, I am not looking for bragging rights here. As it is I have no surround sound at all.

Believe it or not, I would turn the room 90 degrees, have the 12' wall as the back. Question is can you block the opening with your TV? Maybe a rolling cart so it could be moved out of the opening when not in use. You could get pretty good sound this way. Maybe post some pics for better help.

Brac

Ok, what I have (for a room) is a 12 x 13 foot square room with large openings on each side; one opening leads into a den and the other to the dining area (neither sides have doors, just wide open).

Good luck. [:o]

You are going to use these in-wall speakers in what positions? Bass response (of lack thereof) may be an issue, as well as early reflections off the front-wall furniture/TV/electronics and the immediately adjacent side walls.

I'd think about something on the floor (at least thin carpet will probably do), but also diffraction or even absorption panels on the front wall and front-part of the side walls, i.e., the front wall is the one with the TV. The L-R ceiling slope could present an issue with L-R balance vs. frequency--including early reflections off the lower portion of the ceiling.

Before you cut holes in the walls, do you have access to a laptop, a low-cost "mixer", and a low-cost calibrated microphone--such as a Behringer ECM-8000 with cable? I'd recommend using the freeware "Room EQ Wizard" (REW) to do some preliminary tests. Mike Bentz (a.k.a., "DrWho") can fill you in on all the particulars of how to do this. [;)]

Chris

Believe it or not, I would turn the room 90 degrees, have the 12' wall as the back. Question is can you block the opening with your TV? Maybe a rolling cart so it could be moved out of the opening when not in use. You could get pretty good sound this way. Maybe post some pics for better help.
Brac

I agree with this. I had such a room once, and it sounded best in the above configuration. Also, your TV screen may look bigger if it is against the wall with the lower ceiling. And ... having the ceiling go up in the back is more "theater like." The slanted ceiling may make up for some acoustical difficulties.