Help/Problem/Advice Klipsch RP3s

arena

i'm trying to put together a sound system, i've already got my cd player and reciever, and though i bought a pair of rp3s i currently only have one because ups threw the other one off the back of one of their delivery trucks, so i'm waiting for the replacement to arrive.

here's my problem: i bought some monster cable m1.2s speaker wire and connected the "a" or right rp3 speaker up to my reciever and have about 8 hours total listening time of fm radio on it, and everything sounds great. but today i recieved the interconnects i ordered weeks ago, and when i connected everything and put on a cd, the horn and midrange drivers on the rp3s immediately sounded extremely harsh/bright. after about 30 minutes i felt like i'd spend the last half hour listening to a smoke detector. so when i switched back to fm the extreme harshness/brightness immediately went away. the interconnects i got are a pair of monster cable m950i, and they are suppossed to be good, but could they be my problem? also, i've heard audio components need time to "burn in" and i was wondering if the cables just need to log a few more hours before they will start to sound right. if so, how long?

here's my equipment list by the way:

cd player: sony cx90es

reciever: harmon kardon hk3370

speakers: klipsch rp3 (right now only one)

cable: 2 pair monster cable m1.2s (bi-wired)

interconnects: monster cable m950i

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

when you listen to your cd player with normal cables, does it have the same harshness effect?

I'm asking because you mention fm listening before the cable swap, and then cd listening after...

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

well when i listen to fm i don't use interconnect cables, because the fm tuner is built in to my reciver. i only use interconnect cables to connect my cd player to the reciever.

the m950is are the only interconnects i have, so i can't really do a cable comparison. any advice short of buying a comparison cable from radioshack?

This message has been edited by arena on 04-19-2002 at 03:48 PM

Because of FM's limited frequency response, dynamic range, use of compression by most stations etc, etc, you really cannot compare Fm to CD IMHO. You need to listen to many different CD's to see if the harshness/brightness is there with all CD's, or is it just an artifact of how a couple of your CD's were recorded. And although I am not a proponent in the "sound" of cables, Radio Shack's return policy certainly makes it safe for you to get a pair and try for yourself.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Bang & Olufsen Beosound 9000

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

Perhaps you should wait until you have your other speaker and can compare one to the other. Perhaps the one you have is not working properly. Or perhaps your impression will change when you have the two of them positioned for "normal listening. Or perhaps the high end of the speakers are not going to be to your taste.

You probably just need to be patient until you receive your other speaker. Spend some time on proper placement etc. and see how it goes from there.

quote:

Originally posted by arena:

i'm trying to put together a sound system, i've already got my cd player and reciever

arena,

Just wondering if your CD player and receiver are recent buys too. If so, often times new equipment will not reach its optimum sonically until it has had several hours of playing time. Some internal components still require settling or break in, even though the manufacturer has performed a test or burn in process. I believe our ears have to settle in to this change in sound as well.

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Arena - Another area to look at is the treble/bass/eq settings in your receiver. In order to get a livelier sound, a lot of us have been used to boosting the bass and treble (or other EQ mechanisms) before we owned Klipsch speakers. That kind of boost is not usually necessary with Klipsch's, so set your bass and treble to flat/neutral.

Also, positioning can make a big difference. If you have them too close to the walls, you can get reflections that amplify the highs, I believe. You might try pulling the speakers into the room a ways.

Doug

------------------

My System

the reciever is new, but has as much listening time as the speakers, about 8 hours. the cd player is used, so it has a lot of listening time on it.

i have the bass/treble eg nobs set to neutral on the reciever.

the speaker is close to the wall though, i will try pulling it out into the room.

i'll also wait and see how it sounds with the other speaker.

thanks for all the suggestions.

Eight hours is definately not a sufficent amount of usage. Especially if new connectors and wiring were installed too.

Agree, you have to wait til the arrival of the second speaker to fully evaluate and experiment with room positioning. After its arrival, put a CD in the player and let it play in repeat mode for a night and day at low volume. Periodically turn up volume during normal listening times to see if you note any changes in sound. Some of my electronic components took 70-100 hours of use before I experinced their sonic potential.

Think you will be pleased after arrival of the other speaker, good placement of both, and more hours of equipment usage.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 04-21-2002 at 09:48 AM

Is the sub section of your RP3 working?

Do you have the power cord plugged in and the speaker turned 'on'?

Do you have the front speakers set to 'LARGE' in your receiver's bass management?

Keith

yes the sub is working, the unit is plugged in, and the speaker is set to "auto" (automatically turns the internal amp on when incoming signal is detected).

there is no bass setting for "large" on the reciever, only 3 eq dials: bass, treble, balance.

Oh....OK.

Well,if your sub section is workng and you have decent bass but you still think the speakers sound irritatingly bright then, we hear alike. I thought the RP's were too bright for my taste too.

At what position is the volume at on the sub section?

Keith