First Post

Ishmail

I sure hope this forum hasn't been going for too long because it is great and I don't want to think about how much great info I have missed. I have been working on my HT for just over a year and have just made a major design decision. I have a JVC D-ILA G-11 projector on a 106" screen with 1980 vintage K-horns as mains c-7 for the centre and some PSBs for the rear. I also have two big sonosubs for the low end. Yes I know it does not match up well but that is why I am here. I have never been happy with the K-Horn, C-7 combo but because of placement problems it was the best I could do at the time. Anyway here is my problem. I am changing my HT room from a huge 22.5'x40' down to somthing a bit more intimate. The 22.5' will be the constant and will be the length of the new room. What I need to know is the optimum width for the K-horns. I hope to change the center at the same time but will come into a problem with fitting a classic speaker under my screen. 27" to the bottom of screen. Odviously the rears will also be ghanged but it is farther down on my priority list and I will get to it after a little more saving. The cieling is 9'. Thanks and hope to be back soon.

Ishmail you will find great help on this Forum from people in the Athens audiophile club... including people with Khorns!

Search on the posts of MaxG and you will find a wealth of local information... and besides, he is a great guy! -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

Hi there.

Try this.

http://www.grlenterprises.com/stuff/frequency-response.xls

It's a spreadsheet that will show you room modes based on room dimensions. Instructions on how to use it are a bit complex for this forum, but are available on the Stereophile Guide to Home Theater website ( http://www.guidetohometheater.com ), just do a keyword search on spreadsheet.

Welcome to the forum!

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Look to a Heresy for your center channel. It will not only match your K horns from the heritage lineup, it will just "feel better" (How is that techno babble sound listening wise? LOL) to have the "punch" necessary out from the center speaker. I am amazed some people skimp here because this is afterall where much of the dialoge comes from in any movie.

BTW the Heritage line was just re introduced here by Klipsch, and if you look hard enough Ebay sometimes also is a nice alternative if your looking for just one.

You might want to get yourself a Belle for center. You can separate the top section from the bottom section, position them side-by-side, and you would be able to be under your 27" clearance requirement.

A La Scala positioned sideways would also work. Some people have also mentioned the benefit of positioning the horns vertically.

This message has been edited by JMON on 04-19-2002 at 04:14 PM

Ishmail,

Add my name to the list advising you to get a belle for the center. I just ordered one myself to go with my cornerhorns.

If you hurry, Klipsch may be able to match your 'horns finish, too.

As for optimum room width, I'd say the bigger the better, to a point. More important, IMHO, is the ratio of the rooms three dimensions. Good luck!

------------------

JDM

Ishmail

Use the spreadsheet Ray put the link to. It will calculate the rooms natural harmonics and help in determining the proper location to sit in your room.

IMHO - K horns should not be positioned less than 15 feet in the width. Personally I like them wider 22-24 feet has always worked well for me and is what I shoot for.

The problem is the depth in this case. If your 22 feet wide, you need to be 34 feet deep to have a good flat response and your back to almost the same size of your first room. But - I agree with James - bigger is better for Khorns.

Your other option is to deaden the back of your room. Design the side and back walls angled downward, or add false corners so the sound does not bounce streight back. This works very well in 2 channel listening rooms, not sure about HT since you will have drivers on the sides and rear.

I would loose the c7 and go with a Lascalla or Belle over the Heresy for the Center. It will better match the khorn response.

One thing is sure - This forum is a great place for info.

Good luck on your project.

JM

Thanks for answering. I will download the spreadsheet and give it a look. Edwardre, setup looks great but don't you need corners? One thing that I have noticed is that with my K-Horns about 20' apart my sweet spot is far closer to the front of the room (maybe 15') than j-malotky said I should be hearing. Actually it works out better that way because I like to sit quite close to the screen. Going to go make some quick measurments and see what speakers will fit under my screen. Thanks, back later.Ish

Ish

The 15' I mentioned is the width of the room. The Distance between the two khorns.

Usually the sweet spot is slightly behind the 45 degree angle of the front corners. So the 15 feet you refer to sounds about right.

Let us know how the spreadsheet works for you. I recieved it last year from a close friend and I plugged in numbers of rooms I have worked with in the past. It seems like a solid tool to use.

JM

Ish

One more thing. John Albright is right. The Lascalla uses a k400 horn- Same is the Khorn. Belle is K500 and slightly smaller.

I do not have as much space as Edwarde to get a LaScalla or Belle under or over my screen. In my situation - I am building a 2 piece center channel. Over the screen will be a cabinet containing a K77 and k400. Under the screen will be a ported cabinet holding dual K24's. Still working on the design, will share when finished, but I do have all my drivers and xover.

Just wanted to let you know there are other options if your faced with a simular situation.

JM

While it is true that the Belle has a shorter squawker horn than the K-horns... "technically" needs to be altered by consideration for the difference in cabinet designs and volumes as well. So, when all the "technical" aspects are added up, it becomes a very close call. Not for PWK, though, he chose the Belle for his Khorn matching center... and so did I. But, you certainly won't go wrong with LaScala either! -HornED

This message has been edited by HornEd on 04-21-2002 at 09:55 AM

Ish. Ahhhh yes...corners would be so nice. I had good corners in my previous house. Almost didn't buy this house because of the lack of sufficient corners for my babies. I have my bass bins sealed up with 3/4" ply for now and experience great bass still. The HT room is 20'(W) x 22' front to back. Not optimum, but darn fine none the less. Future plan is to push out the wall that currently has the screen.

Sweet spot is not an issue. These are '54 Khorns. Came with the curved sectoral mid-horn rather than the straight-horn currently in use. What I find is that I have to have the seat all the way to the back of the room to get good jaw-exciting bass due to the WAF with regards to sub placement. The things we do to keep the peace.....

------------------

Ed

Ishmail,

Look under Odds & Mods, Q-Mans University Classic. You will find a picture of my Klipschorn front end in that post. The use of false corners will let you position the Klipschorns where you want them.

If you can't use a perforated screen with a speaker behind it, then this is what I would do. Cut the top horn section off of a LaScala . Now the bass horn unit will fit under your screen, and you can place the mid. and tweeter horns next to it. I would even go one step further. Place the mid. and tweeter horns in the center flanked by a pair of LaScala bass horns.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man