Problems with preouts

I bought a used onkyo tx-sr705 about a month ago. I have babied it knowing that i would be getting an amp to for my system. Well i got the amps and hooked them up and definantly my front left preout and maybe my center are giving me problem. I get like a ground loop hum and some queit pops and NO SOUND through my front left speaker. I am going to do some more testing today to see if i can figure it out. Anyone have problems with their preouts? Anything i should look for if i pop the onkyos lid off? Every feature has worked great on the onkyo so far so i am surprised the preouts are giving me problems

Have you checked all your copper-connection input devices to your AVP, such as RCA-type audio cables?

I had a very bad 60/120 Hz hum related to the TV audio connection (regardless of input mode the AVP was in) that only subsided once I converted to S/PDIF (optical). The problem seemed to be a severe grounding issues from TV to AVP.

Chris

It might just be the jacks, especially on used equipment. Some RCA jacks are mounted with a "key" that prevents them from rotating; others are mounted without a "key" and may just be held on with hex washers behind the chassis. Some people like to twist RCA plugs when making or breaking contact with the jack, and over time repeated twisting may cause the jacks to become loose enough to rotate. Once they can rotate there are lots of problems that can happen; broken wires, things touching that should not touch, etc...

Try pinching the external jack protrusion with your fingers and see if it is loose or can be turned. If so, you might need to inspect them from behind (inside) and see if you can re-tighten them.

When I had my Onkyo TX-SR806 I had the same problem. The RCA connector's on the back of the receiver actually came off of the circuit board. This happened to me twice as I sent the receiver back to Onkyo to get repaired only to have the same thing happen a few weeks later. If you are using a RCA cable that fits tight onto the RCA connector on the back of the Onkyo receiver my opinion is do not remove the rca cable. This is what caused me to have issues with mine and that is one of the main reason's I stayed away from purchasing another Onkyo receiver.