A cool Roadie video

dtel

the first part is the BEST part! [:D]

I just had my first close-up experience with a small EAW line-array system at the club where I mix. The predictive software used to arrange and eq the arrays are fascinating.You can find it on the EV and EAW websites.

A really cool feature of line arrays is the very narrow vertical dispersion angles, typcially 5-10 degrees. By using a stack of them in the top part of the array, throw is increased by the cabinets coupling together. The lower portion is usually given a different eq and gain treatment so the folks up front get nice even sound without getting blown away. With standard 'point source' (cabinet and horn) speakers, the falloff is 6db for each doubling of distance (so loud in front, quiet in back of the hall). A properly set up line array has only about 3db of falloff. The upshot of this is that at my club it sounded great at the back and sides of the room, as I walked directly toward the stacks, the sound got barely louder.

There are even techniques called cardioid ( yes like the heart-shaped pattern of vocal mics) sub arrays that use phase, delays, and cabinet placement to create nulls in the LF and help project the sound out into the audience and not liquify those on stage. In some instances, some of the sub cabinets are placed facing away from the audience or physically behind other sub cabinets.

This new science is amazing!

Michael

A really cool feature of line arrays is the very narrow vertical dispersion angles, typcially 5-10 degrees. By using a stack of them in the top part of the array, throw is increased by the cabinets coupling together. The lower portion is usually given a different eq and gain treatment so the folks up front get nice even sound without getting blown away. With standard 'point source' (cabinet and horn) speakers, the falloff is 6db for each doubling of distance (so loud in front, quiet in back of the hall). A properly set up line array has only about 3db of falloff. The upshot of this is that at my club it sounded great at the back and sides of the room, as I walked directly toward the stacks, the sound got barely louder.

Two years ago at the Wharf in Orange Beach, Alabama I heard a concert where they were using a JBL line array and I've got to say that it was the best concert sound I've heard. Left to right, up top and down by the stage the sound was the same. It was almost like wearing earphones, the sound was so "in your face".