AV Receiver Advice.

Fumz

Hi Klipsch Community,

I am new to all of this, and it seems like one really needs an engineering degree to fully comprehend and set up a proper audio/home theater system... but, you have to start somewhere.

I have a set of Klipsch HD Theater 500 speakers and wonder what would be the better choice to pair them with: a Denon AVR-1911 or a Yamaha HTR-5063. I'll be swapping out the sub-woofer for a 12" model within the year (if that matters/helps).

Thanks in advance for your time.

the good thing about the hd500 setup is that the speakers don't require a lot of power to drive them to capacity. Thats good because it opens up the availability to use receivr wise.

Vanns.com is a great site to purchase from online, no tax and no shipping on almost everything. I have purchased from there and think is great. I am also a denon fan over yamaha, never owned a yamaha so i cant attest to its working capacity, many many many people own them, swear by them and are very happy with them.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538426256/denon-avr1911?s_c=site_search

When you search for subs, check out other brands outside of klipsch such as svs, emotiva, sunfire, velodyne and there are more brands others will chime in with as well. You dont have to limit your options to brand but rather to price point, each brand usually offer multiple tiers of models.

I have some experience with the HD series. I own the HD300 set. I actually use mine for surrounds. I liked them so much that I bought my dad a set and sent him my sub so he has two now. That was when I upgraded to the klipsch synergy sub 12. His 2 subs sounds much better and of course my sub 12 was a large improvement over the one HD300 sub. Of course now I just ordered some new subs and am selling my sub 12.

So on to avr's.... I started with a Sony that I quickly returned. Then bought the onkyo tx sr608. Very happy with it. I bought my dad a yamaha 367 which is definatley not top of the line but it sounds good with his dual sub HD300 set up. Denon and yamaha and onkyo are all quality brands. The couple questions that come to mind, are you going to upgrade your speakers in the future? If so I would spend the money and get an avr with preouts for a separate amp later. If not then preouts are not needed. Will you use it for iPod music or to stream pandora? You need an iPod capable avr and if you want to stream music online then you'll need a network avr. Are you planning on watching 3d movies? Cause you'll need an avr capable of processing 3d content. If all u want to do is watch movies in regular hd and listen to the radio or cd's then an avr from one of the companies I mentioned in the $200-$300 range will be all you need. Also shop online as the prices are much cheaper.

Thanks for the quick replies guys! [:D]

I've decided to go with the Denon 1911. Everything I've read so far says it produces the best sound (out ofmidrange avrs) . I went with Crutchfield and got it for $399.0, no taxes, free shipping and an hdmi cable (although I've already ordered enough hi-speed ferrite hdmi cables for my needs).I would have gone with your link SuBXeRo, and saved 10 bucks, but these guys have a very high veri-sign rating.I'm gonna call it a small price for some piece of mind. [:)]

Jason, according to these guys, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1252471, the 1911 has, "(2) The AVR 1911 has Zone 2 pre-outs (so you are not required to use the
"amp assign" to power Zone 2). This means that, with the additional of
an external 2-channel amp, the 1911 can run 7.1 + Zone 2 (whereas the
791 can only do 5.1 + Zone 2)."; however, I don't have any idea what that means? Does this mean I can add an amp if I someday want to, or will I have to upgrade the receiver again?

Unfortunately you'll have to upgrade the receiver again if you ever want to add amps. Zone 2 preouts are only used if you want to add an amp and speakers to anotherarea of your house such as another room or your patio etc. Zone 2 will basically allow you to listen to something totally different from what is playing in the "main" room (the room with the receiver) So you can watch a movie in the main room and play a cd for the second room or "zone". Cool feature to have especially if you entertain alot or if you ever plan on putting speakers out on your patio. But unfortunately those preouts will be of no use for powering your 5 main speakers. Most companies generally only put full 7.1 preouts on their upper midrange and high end units. But I wouldn't worry too much. Get everything setup and see how it sounds. If you're happy then you're done. If you do ever decide to get bigger speakers and you feel you need more power then you can just get a higher end receiver and then you can move the denon to the bedroom or mancave etc so it won't be a complete loss.......if all of that is too much trouble then Crutchfield does have a return policy so you can ship it back, get a refund and upgrade.