Klipschorn advise

Just a few questions. First, are all klipschorns created equal, is there a time period that is more desirable or less desirable and if so why?

Second, what would be a good match for a center channel speaker (Academy,KLF-C4, KV-4)?

I have Cornwall II's in the game room, RF-7II's,Rc-64II, six Ksp-s6's and an SVS PB13-ULTRA for my family room.

I have always wanted a pair of k-horns and was hoping to not make a mistake in purchasing them.

I appreciate any advice.

First, are all Klipschorns created equal, is there a time period that is more desirable or less desirable and if so why?

Generally speaking, Paul Klipsch improved his first commercial loudspeaker design over time. Even after his passing, I believe that the Khorn has gotten better with the latest enclosed back design (slightly raising the resonant frequency, but making the unit more structurally integrated and with more consistent lf performance based on in-corner placement).

The oldest 2-way Khorn models suffer from the lack of hf at the top of the hearing range--if you're fairly young, you can hear the difference. Also the design of the midrange horn changed to the last exponential horn design with "collapsing vertical polars", then the introduction of the non-metallic horn (for less ringing). These are all good changes, IMHO. In the late 50s or early 60s, there was a change in the bass bin slot dimensions in order to address issues with its 400+ Hz performance (or lack thereof). This was a good change, but it took a little from the extreme lf end performance, I'm told.

Second, what would be a good match for a center channel speaker (Academy,KLF-C4, KV-4)?

I believe that the Belle or La Scala are the best center channel types (see my setup photo). I had a Heresy in the center, and its lf timbre difference was too great for my taste. The Academy should sound very similar to the Heresy, IMHO. A Cornwall would sound better than a Heresy or Academy I would think but if you're going that large, then I'd recommend going the Belle or La Scala route instead.

Paul Klipsch wrote about this subject in "Dope From Hope":

"DOPE FROM HOPE Vol. 15. No.6 June 1976

THREE SPEAKER ARRAYS

More and more people are calling and writing us about a three speaker array. We recommend our BELLE KLIPSCH or LA SCALA as a center speaker between our KLIPSCHORN, LA SCALA,or BELLE KLIPSCH as flanking speakers. We do not like to use our HERESY or CORNWALL speakers between totally horn-loaded speakers.

If you are aware of the history of our HERESY speaker, you may wonder why we adopt this heretical attitude. Back in 1955, we were trying to revive the teachings of The Bell Telephone Laboratories in the use of a center speaker bridged across 2 stereo channels(1). At that time, we built only corner speakers, and I was designing It non-corner speaker for the center channel. Our then Eastern sales representative, Hank Goodman, looked at my sketches and said, "that, coming from you, would be heresy". I grabbed that idea and named the speaker 'Klipsch's HERESY'. But we found, over the years, that its distortion is perceptibly higher than that of our horn systems.

Now, don't jump to wrong conclusions. Our HERESY exhibits lower distortion than any other speaker of its size and price. But it is still not an all-horn system. Having a direct-radiator bass unit, its distortion in the bass range is inevitably higher than that of our horn systems, and the cruel fact remains that the speaker system with the highest distortion determines the distortion level of the entire stereo array. Thus, we recommend an all-horn system, like our BELLE KLIPSCH or LA SCALA for use as a center speaker between flanking all-horn speakers. Where CORNWALL or HERESY speakers are used on the flanks, it is entirely feasible to use them also in the center of the array.

This would be a good time to remind you that the flanking speakers should be in comers if possible and should be arrayed with about 45° 'toe-in'. (2, 3) When a customer demands totally horn-loaded flanking speakers, but asks for a less expensive center channel, simply suggest he settle for a two speaker array until he can afford the correct speaker for the channel.

The perceived distortion is that of the poorest speaker in the array. This is especially noticeable for center stage sounds. The center speaker reproduces center stage events, and the soloist, if there is one. It should be at least as good and clean as the flanking speakers.

KEEP IT CLEAN!

Paul W. Klipsch

1 Symposium on Auditory Perspective, 1934. Reprints of this are available at $1.00.

2 DOPE FROM HOPE, Vol. 14, No.4, 'Bridged Center Speaker.'

3 DOPE FROM HOPE, Vol. 15, No.2, 'Toe-In' "

I was hoping that a small center would work but I had a feeling it would take a full size.

Don't mistake my being blunt for anything than me having been there & done that.

You really want a LaScala between your Khorns. Avoid at all costs, the smaller units you listed. I used to have an Academy between my LaScalas and it was an epic fail. It simply did not have the balls to keep up with the LaScalas.

It kind of irked me that it was a dealer that recommended the Academy. I never thought about buying a single LaScala.

Anything else will be some form of compromise. A Belle would work but has slightly different horn for the midrange. (looks nicer too). A Cornwall would work but now you've lost the efficiency of the bass horn and that tidbit is going to follow the rest of the food chain as you go down in size.

I used an RC-62 as a starting point between the Jubs. It was a terrible shotgun marriage [+o(]. It didn't work upstairs with the Khorns either.

I've got a Belle in each place now. Downstairs, that Belle is triamped and it "holds its own". I'm thinking about a K-510/K-69-A "Jub-Belle" upgrade.

Upstairs, the Belle is in stock configuration and that unit integrates extremely well with Khorns as it should: it was developed to be the center channel between two Khorns.

I've currently got the RC-62 in its original shipping box, awaiting a new home. Reasonable offers considered.

Chris [:|]

Now would you have any advice on different years or decades when the k-horns would be better or worse.

I really don't. I personally, would want to stay with those cabinets that are all plywood. So, if any of the newer ones are MDF, I personally would try to avoid those.

I realize the MDF has some better sonic properties.... I just can't get my head around owning that (MDF) yet.

Now, if I really had my druthers, what I'd want to do is find a pair of Khorns in Macassar Ebony or something like that... this means an older pair to find some exotic veneer.

Unfortunately, you can't get that in a LaScala so your hands are somewhat tied there.

You could always have some veneered though. Some have done that here with fantastic results.