Imaging--Soundstage Problem...Chorus ll's

SWL

Well, tonight we treated the early and secondary reflection points including right behind the horns. While it brought clarity and smoothed out the bass that was somewhat boomy prior.....we gained nothing in imaging or soundstage. Sad

We also tried running the speakers from the Scott 299 alone (not bi-amped). Still no improvement in imaging. It was a sweet reminder of how well passive bi-amping works when you put tubes on the horns and a powerful ss amp on the woofers. Can you say headroom? Big Smile

Next, we're gonna bring the Chorus ll's over to my house and put them in place of my KLF-30's where the imaging and soundstaging is kicking some butt in a treated room.

This will let the speakers speak for themselves ! I am looking forward to seeing what happens .

Brought the Chorus ll's over to my house this afternoon and played them in a heavily treated room and did a direct comparison with my KLF-30's. Here's what we discovered:

Imaging was somewhat improved but was not vivid. Didn't pass the test.

Bass was dramatically smoother in this room. No more boominess. Sounded good.

Soundstage effect was faint, lacking.

While the bass sounded much, much better in this room the mids-highs were a big disappointment in comparison.

Next, we will take my second pair of 30's over to Mike's house. Hopefully Southern will be able to bring his Fortes as well. In the meantime Mike is shopping for a pair of used KLF-30's. We're still not convinced that the Chorus ll's are performing up to their potential. They don't sound flawed or screwed up in any way.....I just expected more from them.

Somethings not right. I think something either went wrong with the crossover mod or there is a part out of wack. Chorus II's image and quite well. They've been laying a pin point bead for me for over 21 years. Oh and as far as soundstage, with Floyd playing I've had them walk in one door, walk across the floor and right on out the other door. Pretty damn cool. As far as bass if they aren't hammering you with that kind of power I think there is something amiss there as well.

I agree with stormin. I took a set to the races this weekend and did not expect more than loud music with alot of bass. I was really surprised that they imaged very well. All the Chorus II,s I have had all sounded great no matter where I put them or the size of the room. Maybe you should see if Bob Crites has a set of xovers for them.

Thanks for your input guys. We're getting pretty discouraged with these. Based on their strong following we're comitted but almost ready to give up and go in a different direction. He's been keeping in touch with Crites......possibly gonna send him the x-overs to check out.

Somethings not right. I think something either went wrong with the crossover mod or there is a part out of wack. Chorus II's image and quite well. They've been laying a pin point bead for me for over 21 years. Oh and as far as soundstage, with Floyd playing I've had them walk in one door, walk across the floor and right on out the other door. Pretty *** cool. As far as bass if they aren't hammering you with that kind of power I think there is something amiss there as well.

Listening to Dr. John on mine right now with Linn amplification. No issues.

I am more confused now than when I started reading this thread days ago.

Chorus IIs should not be this much of a struggle.