Fortes vs RF83 for movies and music

Danzo

While i am waiting for Rich'es academy to arrive, i've been wondering if i should be getting different setup.

My setup is 2x Forte 2 as mains, KV3 centre (fairly satisfied with it, but i expect Academy to be better) and KG4.5 as surrounds. Sub is Epik Legend (300W dual 12'').

Thing is, i like watching movies quite alot, my setup sounds pretty good with likes of Master and Commander, Iron Man, Matrix, etc etc. I expect it to only get better with new centre speaker. However, i am also thinking of buying a RF83/RC64 setup and see i if it would impress me more with movies.

Why am i posting this in 2Channel section then?

Well, i love my music too, to which i listen on my Forte 2s. Holly Cole, Otis Redding, John Lee Hooker, Norah Jones.. I listen to rock and other genres too, but the point is that vocals are quite important where mid range driver/horn of fortes come in. Would RF83 pair also deliver that sweet sound? The only other 2 way pair i had a chance to listen to in my room is my KG4.5s and Fortes sound considerably better to me. However, i am not sure of the main reason for it, whether it's the lack of dedicated midrange or simply KG4.5 is inferior speaker with worse components/craftsmanship/XO etc ?

I like listening to music both using my tube preamp/tube monoblocks and UMC-1/UPA1 monoblocks (have not decided which set to sell yet).

I read through many forums like 'Heritage vs RF', '2Way vs 3Way' etc but have not been able to form a firm opinion as of yet.

I understood that RF series are great for watching movies though, easy access to biamping also a bonus.

I guess the only sure way would be to buy RF83/RC64 and compare both setups for myself, unless anyone would have any word of advice or experience to share about this particular case?

Regards

i had a pair of klf20s and klfc7 (c7 being sort of similiar to academy) needless to say the klf20s were very very similiar to the rf83s in sound to me, the rc64 kicked the klfc7s rear end all over the ground for movies though, a very clear winner was decided (i do however have sellers remorse, would have loved to place it in another room but i guess who really needs 2 rooms like that...)

I have the RF-63/RC-64 combo as my main HT setup but also have Quartets and Fortes right there with them. I bought my Reference setup before any Heritage came into my home. While I do think an all Heritage HT would be the "cat's meow", I am very pleased with my 63/64 combo. I listen to 2-channel mostly with the Forte's but very much enjoy it with the 63's. I do watch/listen to BD concert videos mostly with Reference in 5.1 but always go back and watch them in just uncompressed PCM 2-channel with the Fortes or Quartets to get a different perspective. Needless to say, I like them all.

Bill

I have a pair of Forte' 1 for 2 channel and the RF7/RC7 for home theater.

For 2 channel I prefer the Forte's mainly because of the midrange. The RF-7's have a better high end and faster base but the Forte's have a very good deep low end.

For home theater the RF7/RC7 is my favorite due to the clarity and the ability to play at concert volume levels and not sound strained.

For a real treat, hook up your RF7's and Forte's to a tube amp and you might decide to get rid of your solid state amps.