Heresy WHAT THE HECK?

Boomzilla

I hooked up my Heresy speakers to my amp - no sound from the right squawker or tweeter - *^%^&_*... I then took the back off the speaker & checked the squawker & tweeter with a VOM - GOOD CONTINUITY! I have type E crossovers. I've never heard of a blown crossover - normally the drivers die first. What's going on?

Thanks to all - I'll verify the wiring, tighten the screws, and test the cap. If the cap is bad, would it be prudent to just replace both crossovers with a pair of Mr. Crites' models? I'd assume that if the parts are old enough for some to begin failing, then it is likely that others are either shifted in electrical performance or are prone to failure as well. On the other hand, the autoformer is unlikely to fail at all, so maybe just a full capacitor replacement would cure the issues? Thanks.

I hooked up my Heresy speakers to my amp - no sound from the right squawker or tweeter - *^%^&_*... I then took the back off the speaker & checked the squawker & tweeter with a VOM - GOOD CONTINUITY!...

BTW, It is very possible to have good continuity an still have a bad driver.

Furthermore even with a DCR (as opposed to continuity) in the right range, you can still have a bad motor (that may have locked the VC yet did not whack the DCR so low as to be out off spec.)

Noah

How will you test the cap?

To test a cap, lift one of the leads and then use a meter (available online or at Radio Shack) to read the capacitance. If I get the same reading on the "bad" speaker and the "good" speaker, then the suspect capacitor is probably OK. Otherwise, it's time to replace.

...It is very possible to have good continuity an still have a bad driver.,,

True, but when I tested, each driver also made noise! If I've got not only the expected resistance but also noise from the driver, am I right in concluding that the drivers are OK?

TypeE.jpg

Jumper the 2µF cap going from the input to terminal #5 on the autoformer (T2A). If the cap is bad the mid and tweeter should play. If you keep the volume down you cannot hurt anything. If the mid plays, but the tweeter does not, then the other 2µF cap is also bad. Do not try and jump the tweeter cap.