im noob for tube sound,so how should it be sounding??? , plz comment

quadklipsh

hi all,

the day i brought the tube headfone amp , im wondering where is the bass and rumble from my music gone ???

is it typical of tubes not to give deep bass and thrilling lows ???

is it normal for tube amp or is it something missing in this particular tube gear . though its nothing compared to respectable tube amps like scotts and fisher or sansui , that many of you must be using , but it surely qualifies to be a tube amp,nevertheless and sounds better in clarity and midrange than other SS that i have .

the tone of the piano does get edgy and sharp when playing loud through my fostex RP T-20 headsets.

your views are highly appreciated...

I don't use cans, nor have I used them with a tube amp, so take this for what it's worth (as a random wild-eyed guess). But could you have an impedance mis-match between that particular amp and your headphones?

I do use tube amps, and Klipsch speakers, so that it sounds like my whole room is wearing a giant pair of headphones; all the detail and enveloping scale, without the tether.

Since the Fostex HP are 50 ohms, what setting are you using for the output on the amp? From what you mentioned in another thread, I would think the 32 ohm output would match the best. You don't want the load to be less than what the amp should be seeing.

Bruce

yes marvel,

at switch no1 i.e. 32hz the sound is neater .

but less loud .

as i switch to position2 or 3 , the punch somewhat increases , but distortion gets more prominent too (if playing loud) .

i was just comparing the sound of this amp to the JVC AZX-911 and marantz 2230 , through the same fostex fones.

though none had any problems going loud , the most musical had been the marantz .

the tubes get you way more clarity in any competition but , the lack of bass and rumble in their sound cannot be overlooked!!.

i know its a v lousy tube gear that i have acquired , but it is holding its good at moderate volumes where the programme music doesnot have very deep bass notes .

from this tube amp, the bass is neat down to 50hz , i guess but then simply non existant or perhaps 20 db less ,thereon.

i may add to ask you guys , if changing the tubes would be the solution to attain better bass and more power handling ???

russ,

you maybe partly right .the 2230 is rather unaltered over the years .its in originality . hence maybe.

but id suspect the two to sound different as they are both ordinary in their class . the tuube amp is a diy. how great would that be . its just built to work and demonstrate how a tube headfone amp should sound like.

but what im describing (lack of bass) is surely for the tube amp.

the 2230 and the 911 both SS have full deep bass and better handling capabilities.

i just wish the tube amp "dolly" to have hd produced some better oomph and rumble somehow .

the tuube amp is a diy. how great would that be . its just built to work and demonstrate how a tube headfone amp should sound like.

It's obvious it's a DIY amp, but being DIY doesn't mean it has to sound bad. Poor design and/or execution is probably the problem. Those are pretty nice HP for the the money. Do you have any others you could try?

The load on the amp must be at least as high as the headphone impedance. If not, the bass will roll off and will distort very easily. The HP are 50 and you are using the supposedly 32 ohm setting. That is the best setting you have. There could also be an impedance mismatch between your preamp and the tube amp.

Bruce

the tuube amp is a diy. how great would that be . its just built to work and demonstrate how a tube headfone amp should sound like.

It's obvious it's a DIY amp, but being DIY doesn't mean it has to sound bad. Poor design and/or execution is probably the problem. Those are pretty nice HP for the the money. Do you have any others you could try?

The load on the amp must be at least as high as the headphone impedance. If not, the bass will roll off and will distort very easily. The HP are 50 and you are using the supposedly 32 ohm setting. That is the best setting you have. There could also be an impedance mismatch between your preamp and the tube amp.

Bruce

there is no pre amp.the headfone amp is fed by the soundcard .

the impedance is 32 ohms usually. 100 ohm setting makes it a bit punchier ,louder ,though by 2to3 db only, ....

my other posts imply if this same amp could drive rf3s or not ??????it gives 3 watts but ofcouurse impedance is the issue ? plz advise

how about a schematic so we can see if the design is of a narrow bandwidth....could be a case of aggressive input coupling capacitors which may be cutting off higher than optimal for bass range.....commonly done to put less stress on output trannies.

how about a schematic so we can see if the design is of a narrow bandwidth....could be a case of aggressive input coupling capacitors which may be cutting off higher than optimal for bass range.....commonly done to put less stress on output trannies.

hmmmm,

now someones talking [:D]

ok speakerfritz ill ask for schematic and come back to ya