La Scala Vs RF 82

tik1960

I have been offered a brand new pair of RF 82 in exchange for my 14 year old La Scalas. Haven't heard RF 82 as yet, are they any good or come close to La Scala? I mean the deep bass, balanced mid n high frequencies. I know they are two way. Do you think it’s a fair deal? Somehow I feel KG 5.2 and KG 5.5 sound better than La Scala when driven by Adcom power amp. Am I the only one? Thanks.

14 years is not old for a quality loudspeaker, as long as it hasn't been abused. The La Scala is more efficient and will probably play louder than the RF-82, particularly with low to medium power amplifiers. La Scala's suffer from the same time coherence problems as any folded horn. However, they are highly detailed with great presence--more so than the RF 82's. La Scala's don't actually reach the lowest frequencies; though smaller in size, the RF 82's will probably play deeper fundamental frequencies.

The comment that you must listen to both and decide for yourself is right on.

Any way you can give them an audition?

I'd speculate that if you could sit down with them and give them some good ear, you'd probably know your answer within 60 seconds.

I am sure you are referring to LS. Wish I could audition RF 82 or RF 7 but the problem is that I am in Pakistan and no Klipsch's dealer here,you can only buy them boxed.

My system profile is not showing here (and don't know why) I am using 3 pairs of front speakers (LS, KG 5.5 & 5.2) driven by Adcom 555II using an Adcom preamp and Yamaha 667. I have been told Adcom n Klipsch is the worst possible combination, is it true?