HVLP for Polyurethane

Beechnut

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm thinking this is the best route for clear coat on cabinets. Dude at work did an excellent self-help project on baseboards and a few other display boards around the building. I remember him doing his clear coat with a spray gun.

Looking at hitting Lowes Kobalt HVLP gun. Comes with regulator and adjustments for air, source material, and fan width.

879686002215lg.jpgKobalt HVLP

Probably works well, but I'd google the brand and speak with a local autobody shop about what they prefer in HVLP finishing guns. My preference is DeVilbiss. They've been around forever and with interchangeable nozzles can spray just about anything. Spraying poly requires a medium-fine nozzle and you will need to experiment with how much thinner to mix to make it spray just right. Be prepared to practice on scraps... alot. You also need a good compressor with a water trap, mask so you don't poly your lungs, etc.

[H]

I've used DeVilbiss and Binks guns for automotive paint, along with some cheap touch up guns. While the cheap guns can spray paint OK sometimes, they can be a real pain also, not having the adjustability of a quality gun, etc. Interchangeable tips are a must for spraying different finishes. Stay away from the "one size fits all" tips.

HVLP spraying is a lot different to the old style spray guns. Make sure to practice on some scrap wood or cardboard until you get the feel for it. The first time I used a HVLP gun, I ran the paint big time. They put out a lot of material in a hurry!

Thanks for the info thus far.

Had some extra plywood laying around but I like the cardboard idea. Way more manageable.

The model above is their best model from the big box store. Course Home Depot has a husky model but it doesn't come with a regulator.

As to the water trap use on the air compressor..I have a pancake porter cable 135 psi air compressor. I figured I didn't need to upgrade since I can deal with the constant "on" of the motor and should be regulated to about 40 psi. Didn't think about the water trap. Should be able to pick one up and bolt it in-line before the quick connect at the compressor.

Looked at compressor. It's 7.7 SCFM @ 40 PSI. At 90 PSI it's 5.6 SCFM. Soooooo....don't think this compressor could handle HVLP.

As I was reading around the net, seems that you don't want to spray as your compressor is running as this changes the SCFM.

CFM = Cubic Feet per Minute

SCFM = Standard Cubic Feet per Minute

An auto parts store that sell automotive paint supplies should carry disposable water filter/ traps for around $6-$8. They are plastic and screw in to the air inlet of the paint gun. when you are done spraying, simply remove and throw away.

Unless you have a 2-stage compressor, minimum 5 hp that can put out enough air, large hose and high flow fittings, you won't get acceptable results with an HVLP. You will have very poor atomization if you don't have enough volume of air available.

Michael's correct. The only way around that problem is you have to keep changing the mix to get it diluted enough to flow correctly. If you have a smaller compressor, you can also set the compressor outflow to 50 PSI (normally HVLP is ~45 PSI). Takes a lot of time and lot's of practice. It's just much better to make sure that the compressor's "delivery" specs meet or exceed the requirements of the gun.