4.1 promedia with DD-5.1 decoder

ebyryan

I was thinking of buying the 5.1 digital decoder for my 4.1 Promedias and looked through the owners manual online and couldn't find any information on how to hook the 4.1 system to the DD-5.1. It says it includes cables to hook the 5.1 system to it. Would I just use 2 of those and not hook anything to the center and subwoofer channels? Would I get the proper bass output. Any information on this type of set-up would be appreciated. Thanks.

just hook it up as a 4.1 system, ignore the center and sub outputs, and set the DD-51 to 4.1 output instead of 2.1 or 5.1

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

it is the best bet for the money. If you had ~$250 more to spend, I would say get the Yamaha Decoder, but it is like $400-499. The rest of the decoders only do Dolby decoding, not DTS, which is twice the bitrate.

What is your motivation for getting a digital decoder? What are you trying to hook up to the promedia's? what sound card?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

As of right now I am unsure of what all I will hook to it, but I'm figuring a stand-alone DVD player, VCR, console gaming system along with multiple computers using an A/V switch. The reason for all this is that I'm hoping to use these speakers for everything in the entertainment center. Is there a better way to hook a lot of items up to the system?

that sounds like th ebest setup. the DD-51 has two digital inputs and three analog stereo inputs, so you should be good to go. you will need to get an RCA stereo Y adapter if you want to do two coaxial digital inputs, but we can talk about that later Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

• 1 month later...

alright I got a dd 5.1 and I have a question I am using the toslink to connect to my dvd and what not and I have the speakers connected and they work great with it, but how do i still connect it to my sound card ? I also have the digital coax cable too, I have a sb live 5.1 mp3+ I am pretty sure it has digital out but I don't see anything on the back of the card for digital coax or toslink even ? any suggestions ?

hmmm supposedly I need a mini-jack to umm din connection weird

This message has been edited by hkellogg on 05-26-2002 at 08:35 PM

you need a MINI mono to RCA cable to connect the SB LIve's digital to the DD.51's.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

• 4 weeks later...

could you point me in the right direction ? I have a monster cable digital rca cable going into it and the guy at the record store said I need a digital mini mono or something like that and I can't seem to find one with a female rca on the other end :-X if its a custom cable I need any idea of where to get it from ?

it is sometimes called an audio antenuator cable, found at radio shack. cheap Smile.gif

or you can find an RCA to Mini converter.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

• 2 weeks later...

I have Promedia 4.1 (220v). I bought DD 5.1 (120v), can I have problems with different voltage? I will use a step down for DD 5.1

Also I'd like to ask, do I need more cables to hook Promedia 4.1 to DD 5.1?