Image S4 reliability? recurring issue with

Yoshimano

+1

Count me in too. I've lost a set after about six weeks of almost daily use... Thank goodness for exchanges.

What sold me on the image S4i's was actually a set of image S3's I aquired for around $40 after taxes. I switched to the Image S4i from a set of Sony MDR-EX38's. The only thing I like about the Sony buds better is that they come with a 90 degree plug. Otter than that, the image s4i buds wipe te floor with the sony's. I'm currently on my second set of image s4i's. They're genuine, and I use them on my bike ride to work. I have a sneaky feeling that the constant ending caused the last set to die... In case anyone's wondering, he right ear bud took an early vacation. I had the new style packaging as well.

• 1 month later...

the x5 which is now discontinued

That does appear to be the case..... how sad. I have x10's and love them but the x5's sound better to me. [:'(] Even found on close out authorized a while back for < $150 when changed packaging quite a while back. No funds at the time. They're the favorite I've heard of the current models. Hopefullly they're just replacing with x5i.

Maybe Professor Thump or Amy will add their 2 db?

• 3 months later...

It's six months LATER..... MORBERG you asked me to post again in six moths...... I have used them every day with Ipod 5th generation Classic 80 Gb. The bass and treble still sound Great.

NO problems with the wires coming loose or one speaker dropping out. I will post up again in another six months, but so far they

are still working like new, no painted logo's coming off etc all the problems I have read the knock off's are doing. Still Happy. Are you

Sure you have real Klipsch and not a knock off??? The reason I asked, there was thread on a different forum about Audio Store that sells Klipsch

home speakers that was selling S4 for less money then Klipsch dealers on line and they were having the problems you have posted.

And he found out they were fakes..... the Audio shop must have purchased them on line cheep and sold them for a profit.

Louis

It's been around six months too I received my third pair and I've been using them since. Well I'm quite pleased with the fact they are still working properly and sound great. I even tried a brand new one of these expensive Monster Beats headphones, and the Image S4 stand well against these. I bought them on an online shop but they always were fair and replaced the headphones the two first times without hesitation. So I trust them for selling genuine Klipsh headphones. When it comes to how weary the pair has come, I have to say the paint has almost completely disappeared on one side, and the worst is the latex-like flexible part allowing the cable to move around the mini-jack connector has split on one side, probably due to my extensive use and the fact I'm always carrying my phone in my pocket. That shouldn't be happening, though. I guess an angled connector probably would avoid facing this issue, but I'm not working for Klispch, maybe they have their reasons. So far, so good, but the previous pair had lasted one year and a half before dying...

• 1 month later...

I have had the Image S4 for two years and the rightearpiece just went out. I did contact for warranty and was waiting but found the Promedia headphones (same as the S4 but with Mic and button which works with Android) for $35 at TigerDirect and picked them up. The original S4's I had had a bent connector while these have a striaght one. Sound is the same and they work just as well as the S4's. The new S4's arrived and I am happy to say that Klipsch has added the straight connector now so we'll see. I always keep the headphones in the case and am never rough with them on purpose. Hopefully this fixes the issue they have had.

• 1 month later...

Revisited this thread to let you guys know that my pair of S4i with the straight connector started failing today, so these lasted eight months. Great sound, but do not expect any durability.

Are you Sure you have real Klipsch and not a knock off?

Yes, these are definitely original. Purchased in an Apple store.

That angled/straight connector topic seems like an endless debate, doesn't it? [:)]

I'll soon be having used mine for one year oin a couple of months, keeping my fingers crossed! I have to say I'm frequently using my S4, moving them in and out of my pocket, and plugging them into my smart phone, so I can say they undergo recurring efforts with something close to heroism!

10 months now and my S4 with the right angle input jack still works great.. time will tell. But I am retired and I am

very easy with it and don't unplug it very much. When I walk my German Shepard every day it is in my shirt pocket or I am in bed

with it when the wife is asleep. Mine is plugged into a Ipod Classic 5 80Gb so far so good. Sorry some of you are having problems,

hope mine is OK for a long time. It sure has a nice sound as I have some expensive "Cans" and these little pods sound Great.

• 2 months later...

I currently own my 3rd pair of S4s, which unfortunately failed just today (left channel dies). My previous pairs have all been replaced free of charge but all have suffered the same fate after about 6-9 months of use. The first pair I owned had the angled jack, with the next two pairs having the straight jack. However, I suspect the problem is within the earpiece itself (or more specifically where the cable attaches to the earpiece). I love the sound so I'm reluctant to switch, but on the other hand i just want something that will work! i'm sick of waiting upwards of a month to get a new pair each time...

• 4 weeks later...

That's it, my second (third, actually) pair died, they just give a horrible sound and the warranty is now expired... That made almost exactly one year.

That's really pissing me off! I even bought two sets of replacement ear cushions. Seems like the S4 just can't last too long...Will I have to buy one new pair every two years, and send that pair for replacement once a year?

WOW I guess I really got lucky. My S4 are a year old now and no problems..............Yet. Do you run/jog every day and really use them a lot every day??

I use mine several times a week when I walk my German Shepard in the morning but I have my Ipod in my shirt pocket and I am very carefull

removeing them from my ears.

• 7 months later...

Some news for you, guys!

After my second Image S4 pair of earphones died last June, I had bought some to replace them. They died last November.

What's more to say about this product? This is getting really annoying. If at least Klipsch upper ranges of earphones guaranteed better durability, but I have no clue about that..!

As usual, one on the channels ceased working definitely. This is usually announced by a dark and buzzing messanger called M. Hiss, that shows up a couple of weeks before.

Don't really know what to do after having the pair replaced : keep it or resell it and buy high-end x10 earphones? or just going on that stupid cycle of buying 60€ earphones per year..

• 1 month later...

I am a very big fan of Klipsch products and have owned a number of their Heritage speakers designed by Paul W Klipsch, but this company that calls themselves Klipsch now is a whole different animal.

I bought a pair of Custom 3's a few years ago and within 3 months one of the channels went out. After being told I wasn't putting them away properly in the metal case I got another pair. After 2 - 3 months that pair did the exact same thing. I still have that pair and they are sitting in a drawer at home. I'm not sure why, but I went ahead and ordered a pair of S4's after reading the reviews, and literally on the 2nd day the right channel started going in and out on me. So after 3 pairs of Klipsch ear buds, and none of them working at the present time, I decided to look elsewhere for my earphone needs.

Mike

Can't blame you a bit. 0 for 3 isn't good odds.

I have had a pair of S4 for about 4 years. I like them a lot and they have held up well. They aren't my "go to" IEM's but they are fun and do a great job with rock. I use them at the gym and working in the yard. I pretty much abuse them but they keep hanging in there. I just recently purchased a pair of X10 on Amazon for $89. After about 60 hours of break in I really like them. Smooth and balanced. I would suggest that you order a pair but with the bad taste in your mouth I can see why you wouldn't.

Have you called Klipsch? They have a good CS department and generally take care of customers with these kinds of issues. Good luck,