holy crap (need suggestions on what amp to buy)

insomniac

please excuse my language but i must holy F***ing ****

i just got an email back from klipsch service regarding my blown tweeter in one of my quintet satellites, i can not beleive this crap

You will need part number 129067. Those are $60.00 each

$60 bucks, its a god damn tweeter for crying out loud, i can get a pair of 1" titanium infinity car audio tweeters, for almost the same price, and do you wanna know how much i paid for thoes two quintet speakers i use as computer speakers, $110 bucks U.S,

one replacement tweeter alone is more money then the intire speaker,

THANKS ALOT KLIPSCH you have screwed me over. maybe you should take off the 100 watt RMS / 200 watt max rating on thoes speakers because they sure as hell can't handle that.

This message has been edited by insomniac on 04-24-2002 at 12:46 PM

why not just buy a new speaker? you can find them on uBid.com and eBay.com for $20-40.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

"maybe you should take off the 100 watt RMS / 200 watt max rating on thoes speakers because they sure as hell can't handle that"

Speaker power handling ratings assume that the amplifier that is driving the speakers is not being driven into clipping.

Here is a link to a good explanation of "clipping":

http://www.audiovideo101.com/dictionary/clipping.asp

I am curious - What were you driving that speaker with when the tweeter tweeted its last tweet and how high was the amplifier volume?

The fact that it was the tweeter that kacked leads me to wonder if you had not driven your amp into clipping which results in hi frequency energy pulses of excessively long duration being fed to the tweeter.

In other words an amp that is clipping plays hello with tweeters and you can in fact much more easily burn out a tweeter voice coil with a low power amp that is driven into clipping than with a high power amp that is not clipping even though the higher power amplifier may be pumping out far more power than the amplifier that is clipping.

that cliping thing makes me think if my receiver is the problem, i have blown other tweeters with it, by the way when i blew that one tweeter the amp was probley only pushing 50-60% of its full power it can output 100 watts per channel rms so i was doing around 50-60 watts strange that they would blow at that power, that makes me wonder why they did, i have noticed that the amps output can be alittle harsh in the highs sometimes overpowering to the hearing, its a Optimus STAV-3770 Audio/Video Receiver with dolby prologic, (its really a Pioneer receiver with the Optimus name) 100 watts x 2 in stereo mode (which only use for thoes klipsch quintets) and 100 watts x 2 front, 100 watts center, 50 watts x 2 rear in surround mode (i use when watching movies on other speakers )

i have thought about the receiver being a problem before when i blew a set of speakers a while ago and i brought them back to the store i got them from and the guy working there said that the amp might have cliped.

i might buy new speakers all together, i'm not really happy with the performance of the quintets anyways, sound quality is the worst i've heard from a set klipsch speaker, a lot of port noise, woofer overheats fast and you can smell it, i think that might be bad.

so any suggestions,

This message has been edited by insomniac on 04-23-2002 at 06:00 PM

did you try moving that blown speaker to another output on the receiver to make absolutely sure it is not the receiver causing the blown tweeter sound? just a suggestioncwm20.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

insomniac

The fact that you have blown tweeters in other speakers suggests that you like to listen to your music at very high volume and may in fact drive your receiver's amp into clipping. That is particularly so if your listening room is large or has a lot of acoustic damping,(sound absorption due to a lot of upholstered furniture,thick carpeting,heavy drapes,wall hangings etc).

The position of your volume control is not a good indicator of the amp's power output unfortunately. Depending on the amps design,(and the load being driven),the 12:00 position may mean the output is at anywhere from 30% - 90% of rated maximum.

As if that were not confusing enough - The slope of the volume attenuation will likely vary according to the position of the control knob. In other words a quarter turn of the knob at lower volumes might increase power output by 25% but at higher settings that same quarter turn might increase power output by 100% or more.

I suggest that you look at larger speakers than you have been using up until now depending on the limits of your budget and available space. Larger,(but still high efficiency speakers would likely allow you to achieve the volume levels you seek without changing out all of your equipment.

The RF series are very nice but may be a stretch for your budget but you could probably find some deals on some of the older Klipsch bookshelf sized speakers or some of the smaller floorstanders.

A suggestion - Post back with info regarding:

Your Available Budget

The type of music you enjoy

The size of your listening room

Loudness level preferred - Based on the following heavily researched and scientifically validated scale:

1="Eh?" to 10 = "This is the Police!! Back Away from the Controls Son! We have been authourised to use lethal force!"

and if you were not playing really loud and you blew the tweeter, could it be the tweeter that is defective? i guess though even some sin tests can do that, but still...

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

i say F*** it! i just loaded up NCH Swift Sound, sound generator, and set it to 18000hz sine wave, turned the volume up to about the 10:00 position i hear high pitch sine wave then pop, that does it now i have no working tweeters, oh well i'll think about buying a bigger bookshelf style speaker next time, there is something with me and thoes little speakers that i like, i think its just the fact that they look cool, thats pretty much it.

oh yeah by the way i forgot to mention i listen to alot of punk through thoes speakers that might be the reason why the tweeter blew in the first place.

punk is very tweeter demanding.

does anyone here have the Klipsch RB-5 II bookshelf speakers i'm looking into getting thoes as well as a new amp (link to amp below)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=5779034&St=2188&St2=-80352985&St3=-38414089&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=15998&DID=7

This message has been edited by insomniac on 04-23-2002 at 10:45 PM

hmmm i just turned to channel 812 on the satellite dish, thats the dance/techno music channel i'm listen to some techno on thoes quintets with the two blow tweeters, you know it has a unique sound, i can still hear pretty full depth in the sound the woofer in the speaker goes upto 16000hz, and the sound is really clean, i know its missing alot of clarty since all the highes are missing but i could live with this for a little while i guess.

It is defintly not the speakers causing your problem i have seen these driven off of sunfire amps 300watts rms and no problems. Why, because its clean power unlike the optimus which may be rated at 100watts but is probably lucky to make 10watts with all channels driven. If you are going to buy an $850 set of klipsch bookshelfs you really need to put a good amp behind them not some piece of junk. I have the entire refrence line and am using NAD amplification and have had no problems. Look at some of the smaller NAD integrateds they are around the same price as that audiosource you posted the link for and much better quality.

yeah i figured that the receiver/amp could have been the problem all along, i'm never gonna run another set of speakers off it, i could prolly get a few bucks of it.

what would you recommend for a good 5.1 channel DD/DTS receiver thats not to pricey, but has at least 100 watts per channel

or know of a high quality stereo amp, i would like one with a volume knob, but i don't need all the inputs for dvd, tv, cd, and am/fm

i'm looking at the Denon POA-5200 right now

specs are

THX Ultra Certified Stereo Power Amplifer

120 + 120 watts @ 8 ohms

freq. resp. 1hz - 100hz

http://www.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/POA5200.pdf

i would probley run it from my computer with this

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/cavit/products/pd_dpu50_01.htm

a Yamaha CAVIT External Audio Soundboard Processor

This message has been edited by insomniac on 04-24-2002 at 01:14 PM

Motherboard: MSI KT7133A Limited Edition

CPU: AMD Athlon 1533MHz

Memory: 512MB

Monitor: SONY CPD-200ES

Video Card: Gainward GeForce3 PowerPack Golden Sample

Sound: VIA AC'97 Audio Controller

Hard Drive 1: 61.28GB

Hard Drive 2: 4.32GB

CD-RW: TDK VeloCD 24x10x40

CD-ROM: Lite-on 32x

Case: Antec SX1030

This message has been edited by insomniac on 04-24-2002 at 02:08 PM

WOW! The Cavit has REALLY gone down in price.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

When you are looking at recievers the power ratings are very deceptive for example a 120watt a channel pioneer or kenwood is about a 60watt a channel onkyo and a 100watt onkyo is about a 70watt a channel denon and a 100watt denon is about a 50watt NAD. NAD is what i actaully use and love you can get a two channel NAD integrated amp starting at $200. its only 20watts but a very gutsy 20watts for about $400 you can get a 60watt integrated very good power

insomniac,

If you have somewhere to listen to Rotel, that might be a consideration for you. I've used Rotel gear for nearly 10 years and have had nary a problem. My best friend swears by his Aragon if that's within your budget.

Good luck and good listening,

Eric

------------------

Where does this connect?

Rotel or NAD are reasonably priced intgrated amps.

Tweeter price of $ 60 is reasonable.

Most companies focus their efficienies on manufacturing not service parts distribution.

Try buying an outboard rear view mirror from a dealer for your car; they are pricey.