Upgrade from RF-3 II system to RF-7 II?

DrJazz

I have a 42' LCD on a Sanus Stand with a Monoprice extender wall mount attached that allows it to extand out approx 2.5 feet making distance watching it at 9ft and 11ft when watching 110' screen that drops in front of it. Works great!

post-50163-13819656439372_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any way to move everything to the other side of the
room and then have your lp away from the back wall so you can open the doors? Or
I would definitely change the door to open the other way. I would be way too scared that the 7 would get
hit.

Moving it to the other side of the room has similar issues, unfortunately. It's not too bad the way it is - we've lived with it for years already with the RF-3s and there's a foam pad taped to the door to protect the speaker from getting banged with it. Still, it WOULD be more convenient if the door opened the other way.

ajoker2c: Nice pics - that's an interesting setup you have.

thats a fine thread ,....

bravo!

sorry i dont have RF-7s .

what i only have are an old pair of good condition RF3s.

the sound from the 3s is crisp. and very dependable on the amplifier and cd player .

but the mid bass and low end could have been better , if i had a better room .

i always get frustrated with that factor (room) going un attended, and un helped.

instead of giving some ideas id rather poke my nose in and ask something from gurus here[;)].......

1) how loud would you wana go ultimately ( RF3s are a capable speaker for goin loud and strong till your ears scream ....... stop it !!!!)

2) for your demand of going hefty at low volumes , the 7s might get that thing better ,but how much more significant would that improvement be ,considering the price difference???

3) why not try the heritage ? chorus IIs . or the quartets ?they are 3 way and better off in the mid range and the mid bass region. but are they as detailed and fast as RF3s for dynamic music and latest hi definition movies ?

comments plz ?

instead of giving some ideas id rather poke my nose in and ask something from gurus hereWink.......

1) how loud would you wana go ultimately ( RF3s are a capable speaker for goin loud and strong till your ears scream ....... stop it !!!!)

2) for your demand of going hefty at low volumes , the 7s might get that thing better ,but how much more significant would that improvement be ,considering the price difference???

3) why not try the heritage ? chorus IIs . or the quartets ?they are 3 way and better off in the mid range and the mid bass region. but are they as detailed and fast as RF3s for dynamic music and latest hi definition movies ?

I am the farthest thing from a "guru" here, but I'll offer my answers anyway:

1. I've had the RF-7 II system for just over a week. I can play them significantly louder without the "piercing" sharpness caused by my old RF-3 II system, though as a rule I'm not into loud sound so I don't generally play them all that much louder. But I can if I want, without fatigue.

2. The sound of the RF-7 system is much more powerful, more full. (Keep in mind that I listen almost exclusively to 5.1 sound, either from broadcast hi-def TV, or from Blu-rays.) Is the improvement worth the price difference? Tough one to answer - it probably depends on a) how much money you make, and B) your subjective opinion of the sound in your environment. For me personally, it is perhaps barely worth the price but my room and placement is far less than ideal (as I have mentioned earlier in the thread). As far as higher-end speakers go, the RF-7 II's are reasonably priced, considering their competition (say, Paradigm Studio 100's). I say "barely" worth the price because I am still not completely satisfied (perhaps I will never be): the sound is more even, more balanced, more powerful, with MUCH better mid-range and bass and just, you know "presence", which is EXACTLY what I wanted. But even after a week, I still miss the more aggressive (and yes maybe bright) high-end of the RF-3 system. I still feel that some excitement is gone. But would I go back? No, not a chance.

3. I can't comment on Klipsch speakers other than the KSB 2.1's (my first set), the RF-3 II's, or the RF-7 II's. I would say the 7 system is certainly as detailed and fast as the 3 system, but without the "thin" sound of the 3 system but also without that "biting" high-end that I have come to associate (perhaps incorrectly) with the word "dynamic" based on my years with the RF-3's. And honestly, I'm probably making more out of it than it deserves - the high-end of the RF-7's could never be called "relaxed" (like say B&W's). It's there, and it's plenty forward. Just not as much as my previous 3's.

Cheers,
Andre

But even after a week, I still miss the more aggressive (and yes maybe bright) high-end of the RF-3 system. I still feel that some excitement is gone.

Andre,

Have you considered adding a more agressive, brighter sounding amp like an Adcom or Acurus? Here are a couple for sale.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1311461997&/Adcom-GFA-5503-3-channel-ampli

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1311427569&/Adcom-GFA-7500-150-x-5-channel

Just something to consider.

Bill

willland, what you are suggesting is that now he should also invest in some amplifier too!!!! thats not fair . with the same gear , better speaker should sound better .

Quad,

You should know by now that "better" is in the ear of the beholder.[:-*] He likes the shriller highs of the RF-3's that he is not getting from the RF-7II's. Maybe he should have opted for the older RF-7's.

Bill

willland, what you are suggesting is that now he should also invest in some amplifier too!!!! thats not fair . with the same gear , better speaker should sound better .

Quad,

You should know by now that "better" is in the ear of the beholder.Whisper He likes the shriller highs of the RF-3's that he is not getting from the RF-7II's. Maybe he should have opted for the older RF-7's.

Bill

Bill - thanks for the suggestion and links for a different amp. That actually makes a lot of sense. I have my sights set on a Anthem P5, which from I what I can tell leans a bit on the bright side. It would be VERY interesting to audition it and hear how different it is. Though, quadklipsch is right - I'm out of money at the moment. [:)] And, to be fair, the RF-7 II's DO sound better - much much better in fact, but I feel something has been taken away, too.

And perhaps you're right - I should have tried the RF-7 classics
instead, but alas, I couldn't audition either RF-7 model - I had to
make a leap of faith.

Cheers,
DrJazz