Synergy F30s vs Reference RF62 IIs ?

mr_q73

I had originally intended on using all reference series speakers as i read they mesh better together when you use speakers from the same series/etc and i was going to have the following:

Onkyo TX-SR608 Receiver (already have)

SW-350 Sub (already have)

RC62 ii Center (already have)

RF62 ii Fronts (going to purchase)

RS52 ii Rear Surrounds (going to purchase)

Now today i was surfing around the net and noticed that Newegg has the Synergy F30s for buy one get one free...... They appear to be a better quality speaker than the RF62s i was going to get and i can get them way cheaper with the buy onge get one free, so i'm wondering if i would be making a mistake using them in place of the RF62 ii ? Anyone have any comments/suggestions on that ? I'm thinking it would probably be fine but thought i would get some thoughts from people who know what they are talking about (or at least they know more than me ! ) first!

The synergy speaker is not a better quality speaker than the reference line. The synergy line is Klipsch's entry level speaker, and is based on the Reference line, but does noy use as high quality components. If possible, I would make every effort to finish out your HT using Reference speakers and match it all the way around, and the RF-62s would be a great way to go. Now, if you have a very large room, and budget is an issue, then the F-3s are worth consideration, but if you have the budget to get the 62s, then it will not be money wasted. The sound quality will be crisper in the bass and mid-bass, and the highs won't be quite as bright. If you do want dual 8" woofers, I would recommend putting the money aside for some RF-82 IIs, or buy some used RF-82s, as your system is already set-up ideally to bring in the RF-62 IIs OR RF-82 IIs (whichever you prefer for your room size).

In my opinion, while the F-3s may be a bargain, it will really be a waste of money as you will have lost a great deal of sound quality where it counts the most.

Well I own the f-3's and rf 62ii's right now. I use the exact same avr as you and I have the rc64ii. The f-3's are large bass filled speakers. The rf 62ii's are more accurate but provide little bass. I like both sets. Depends on your room size and subwoofer. (EDIT) The synergy line are great speakers for the money. I have owned the f-2's and the c-2 and c-3 as well. Would I rather have the 82's over the f-3's? Probably. (based on my experience with the 62's) but I would not rather have the 52 series ( had the rc52 and didn't like it). The 62ii's can be had for $600 or so and if your room is small I would go with those. If your room is large then go with the f-3's for $500. However if you can stretch your budget a bit u can get the 8 inch woofer with the rf 82's for $700 or the 82ii's for $900. The rf 63's can be had for $1000 as well and those are supposed to be very nice

Well I own the f-3's and rf 62ii's right now. I use the exact same avr as you and I have the rc64ii. The f-3's are large bass filled speakers. The rf 62ii's are more accurate but provide little bass. I like both sets. Depends on your room size and subwoofer. Don't let people on this forum talk you out of the synergy line as they are great speakers fir the money. Would I rather have the 82's over the f-3's? Probably. (based on my experience with the 62's) but I would not rather have the 52 series ( had the rc52 and didn't like it). The 62ii's can be had for $600 or so and if your room is small I would go with those. If your room is large then go with the f-3's for $500. However if you can stretch your budget a bit u can get the 8 inch woofer with the rf 82's for $700 or the 82ii's for $900. The rf 63's can be had for $1000 as well and those are supposed to be very nice

I don't disagree with your opinion on this. The F-3s are good speakers, and they can be had on a limited budget.

the synergy line as a whole is more geared towards entry level. With that said, they do have a lower price point and offer speakers such as the quintet series. The reference line uses cerametallic covered aluminum to keep a very rigid cone while the synergy line uses injection molded graphite to make its woofers. The price point between the two an be chaulked up to finer ingredients and some refinement. The synergy line, from what i have heard tends to be a bit more bassy than the reference.

To match your speakers best, try to stick within the same line and attempt to match the timbres between speakers amongst that same line. The reference line is more of your classic speaker while the synergy now has a more modern look to them. Both lines are great, my personal preference lies with the reference, i really dont like the styling of the synergy line soit makes my life easier!

Well I own the f-3's and rf 62ii's right now. I use the exact same avr as you and I have the rc64ii. The f-3's are large bass filled speakers. The rf 62ii's are more accurate but provide little bass. I like both sets. Depends on your room size and subwoofer. Don't let people talk you out of the synergy line as they are great speakers for the money. I have owned the f-2's and the c-2 and c-3 as well. Would I rather have the 82's over the f-3's? Probably. (based on my experience with the 62's) but I would not rather have the 52 series ( had the rc52 and didn't like it). The 62ii's can be had for $600 or so and if your room is small I would go with those. If your room is large then go with the f-3's for $500. However if you can stretch your budget a bit u can get the 8 inch woofer with the rf 82's for $700 or the 82ii's for $900. The rf 63's can be had for $1000 as well and those are supposed to be very nice

Jason he was giving his opinion just like the poster asked for. This is the 3rd forum I’ve seen where you have come in and responded in a way that tends to sound like you’re saying the response was somehow inappropriate. nothing he said was trying to talk him out of the synergy line he just gave his opinion that I and I’m sure others will agree with that matching his other reference speakers with front reference speakers makes total sense

Sorry guys didn't mean it like that at all. Just giving the OP an opinion on the speakers from a current owner. I can delete that line so nobody gets upset. Didn't intend to come across as though the previous post was inappropriate. His opinion is that the f-30's are a waste of money. I just happen to disagree is all.

...... Blubitrate: I was just letting him know how inexpensive the rf speakers can be if he decided to go that route. Is that somehow inappropriate?

No i think your opinion was good. You are right about one thing, the f-3 is a very bass heavy speaker. I owned a pair for about a month and enjoyed them for what they are. I cant give you a very good review on them since i did not do a whole lot of critical listening with them but it should be noted that the reference series uses a whole different material for their tweeters. I find that i do not crank music or movies too loud anymore so clarity is really important to me, and if you are using a subwoofer the bass should not be an issue. Also if you started with a smaller reference series towers you can always move those to surrounds if you want to go bigger. Jason no that is fine it just seems every single one of your posts has to do with prices. Everyone is trying to build their system slowly here and finding the good deal is part of the fun but its annoying to just go around talking about the prices, my true love is for the speakers.

Sorry guys didn't mean it like that at all. Just giving the OP an opinion on the speakers from a current owner. I can delete that line so nobody gets upset. Didn't intend to come across as though the previous post was inappropriate. His opinion is that the f-30's are a waste of money. I just happen to disagree is all. ...... Blubitrate: I was just letting him know how inexpensive the rf speakers can be if he decided to go that route. Is that somehow inappropriate?

How is saying? “I don't disagree with your opinion on this. The F-3s are good speakers, and they can be had on a limited budget.” Saying that the f-3s are a waste of money? I’m confused[*-)]

No i think your opinion was good. You are right about one thing, the f-3 is a very bass heavy speaker. I owned a pair for about a month and enjoyed them for what they are. I cant give you a very good review on them since i did not do a whole lot of critical listening with them but it should be noted that the reference series uses a whole different material for their tweeters. I find that i do not crank music or movies too loud anymore so clarity is really important to me, and if you are using a subwoofer the bass should not be an issue. Also if you started with a smaller reference series towers you can always move those to surrounds if you want to go bigger. Jason no that is fine it just seems every single one of your posts has to do with prices. Everyone is trying to build their system slowly here and finding the good deal is part of the fun but its annoying to just go around talking about the prices, my true love is for the speakers.

++1

The synergy speaker is not a better quality speaker than the reference line. The synergy line is Klipsch's entry level speaker, and is based on the Reference line, but does noy use as high quality components. If possible, I would make every effort to finish out your HT using Reference speakers and match it all the way around, and the RF-62s would be a great way to go. Now, if you have a very large room, and budget is an issue, then the F-3s are worth consideration, but if you have the budget to get the 62s, then it will not be money wasted. The sound quality will be crisper in the bass and mid-bass, and the highs won't be quite as bright. If you do want dual 8" woofers, I would recommend putting the money aside for some RF-82 IIs, or buy some used RF-82s, as your system is already set-up ideally to bring in the RF-62 IIs OR RF-82 IIs (whichever you prefer for your room size).

In my opinion, while the F-3s may be a bargain, it will really be a waste of money as you will have lost a great deal of sound quality where it counts the most.

JJC was referring to my last line here...I was referring to finishing off a complete reference 5.1 set-up with two synergy towers. Now, having an entire Synergy surround would be a great set-up and very budget friendly, but if you are already invested or mostly invested in an RF-62 II 5.1 HT and at the last second you see a bargain on F-3s, I think THAT would be not be money well spent. To save $200.00 on the last part, and arguably most important part of the system would leave me unsatisfied. Again, not to say that F-3s are bad speakers, just that I wouldn't back out of my original plan just because they were on sale unless I knew that I wasn't going to be able to afford the RF-62 IIs.

Lol i dont think i read OPs first post close enough. He already has the rc-62ii? I say save up your cash for a while and get the rf-82ii. Actually you could buy them now (when you find the price you like) and then run them in stereo until get some extra cash for your surrounds. You can cut a corner by getting rs-42s instead of rs-52s. Or even just just buy a really cheap pair of speakers off of craigslist to run as surrounds until you can afford what you want.