RC 42 VS RC 52 center speaker worth upgrading or not?

forestelder

Hey Guys,

I just bought 2x RF 52's and 2x RS 42's I already have a RC 42 center speaker.

I am not happy with the dialogue volume with movies, mostly its just too soft . I calibrated the speakers volume with a SPL meter and upped the center with +2 db but it is still soft.

I red great reviews about the RC 52 on amazon, but i also want too hear your from you guys.

Greetings from the netherlands,

Martijn Costa "forestelder'

ps. my amp is a denon 3808 with 130 watt RMS at 8 ohm.

I would just jump up and get a rc-62 if you are going to make the upgrade unless money is an issue. All i can suggest is screw the db meter, up the volume on the center some more and see how that goes. Also use quality media to test this out. Cable/Sat TV isnt the best way to test and calibrate. A good blu ray movie, if you have i, something with DTS Master if your receiver can decode it would be a really good media source.

Personally i never use a db meter or any auto calibration, i always go by ear on what sounds good to me. I also take into account the sensitivity difference of the speakers on paper to gauge where i should be putting things and from there i calibrate based on personal taste.

The rc-52 or rc-62 will make a bigger difference but since you are already upgrading, go witht he rc-62!

the rc-52 and rc-62 and rf-52 all have the same size tweeter. The only differences are their crossover points and the fact that the rc-52 has matching 5.25" cones. They should all timbre rather well. The rc-62 will most likely give more depth and soundstage than the rc-52 would but that is just because of the bigger woofers.

The rc-52 would be the perfect match for them. It sounds like you have made your decision, good luck!

I agree with subx. As a former rc 52ii owner that was not wowed by it's performance. My c-3 was better. My rc 64ii does not compare. I have heard the 62ii is a good mid point between the 52II and 64ii. there is also a used mint 62ii in the garage sale right for $350, that's just a little more than a new 52ii.

Well i will check how the RC 52 will sound with my setup. Because we have both other receivers ( i have the denon 3808 ) it will sound differently.

It’s no contest even when I was running just small wall
mount reference speakers the rc-52 didn’t get it done. It just doesn’t have the
size to give the voice enough to stand out all the time you will still be Turing
the volume up and down on movies with the rc-52. If want something that you can
just watch a movie and know your good on levels during the movie the rc-62 is
your speaker. I only had the rc-52 for a few weeks and took it back.

I tried the RC 52 but didnt liked them also. Dialogue was a little bit better but not that good. So i decided too buy 2x RF-82's, RC 64 ( not the II serie ) together with 2x SR 42 and a RW 10-d subwoofer.

Because the RC 64 was a older model i bought it for 598 euro.