RF-82II/RC-62II or RF-7II/RC-64II

n975bspg

I could use a little advice in deciding between purchasing the RF-82II/RC-62II or RF-7II/RC-64II. On the surface, it seems like a no brainer – the RF-7II is a much better speaker. However, I'm really a newbie. I own nothing except a 65" DLP HD television and an old DVD player. I am planning to purchase a Yamaha RX-A3000 A/V receiver (140W/ch). I currently do not have any plans to buy an amp. I just don't see myself going that route. I guess the bottom line is whether or not I will be happy with the RF-7II setup with only the Yamaha receiver driving it. I would hate to purchase the more expensive speakers, hoping for better sound, and have it turn out that the RF-82II speakers would have sounded better just because I didn't want to add an amp. To be honest, I get confused by those speaker power handling specs, such as 250W RMS/1000W peak. Since the Yamaha only puts out 140W, does that mean that the sound just will not be that great because I don't have enough power? My room is not that big, approximately 12' x 25'. I really want to be sure that music sounds good but it will also be used for movies. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The rf-82ii are awesome i got so much out of my rf-82s. If you have the cash though the rf-7ii and rc-64ii are the way to go. The difference in clarity justifies the price i think. Also why do you not want to go the amp route? I see that receiver sells for $1,800 on amazon. Receivers do not hold their value like amplifiers do and there are countless benefits of going seperates (amplifier and processor) over a receiver. PS3 works awesome as a blu-ray player if you are okay with learning how to use it. By the way my room is small and i am enjoying a pair of rf-7ii. I would like to say everyone prefers the rf-7ii for movies but the debate is still out there for music. If you are a 50% movies 50% music i think the rf-7ii is a wise choice, if you listen to more music make sure you audition the rf-7ii first before you buy it so you know what you are geting into.

You don't "need" an amp. Of course if you were to add a quality amp your sound quality would improve. That said your yammy will power the speakers judt fine. Klipsch speakers don't need a ton of power to sound good. Your choice of speakers is about $1800 different in price. 3 factors would drive my decision in your case. Room size/ price/ no amp.... I would go the 62/82 route. Honestly you have other choices as well. You could get the rf63's used for $1000 and an rc64 for $600. That would give you a great center channel and very nice fronts. You could even go for rf83's for about $1500 a set if you wanted to step up a little more. On pure looks I like the rf7ii.'s with the rc64ii. Very nice cabinets. If I was gonna spend $3000 on 3 speakers (7's) I would absolutely spend another $600 and get an xpa-3. Any one of those sets will be nice. The bigger you go the more presence and bass you'll get to so your sub choice becomes more important when you are going with smaller fronts. I currently have the 64ii and 62ii's. Not amped and they sound very good. I have some rf63's on the way because I heard alot of good reviews about them. It comes down to price. 82ii's/62ii=$1200... 63's/64=$1600... 83's/64=$2100... 7ii's/64ii=$3000. Do you need the more expensive speakers? No. Do you want the more expensive speakers? Probably. Lol

You could get a great Emotiva UMC-1 (pre/pro) and an XPA-3 (3 channels, 200 watt amp) for a combined price of $1400.00 and that would honestly do much better for you. In order to get your moneys worth for the RF-7s, I would really recommend going with more power in order to increase your clarity. One other benefit to the RF-7 II/RC-64 II is the beautiful cabinet finish. They will really look great anywhere you put them! On the other hand, the RF-82 II series is a fantastic speaker at a VERY reasonable price and the Yamaha RX-A3000 (I have the old RX-A1500) is a great receiver. You really can't go wrong with either, but if money is not a constraint, the RF-7 II would definately be my choice!

Also, I did not see mention of a sub. Even with the RF-7s I would recommend something to handle the low end (another $500-1000.00).

The RF7 series. Since you are considering them go ahead and get them. Yes they sound amazing with more power. But they also sound beautiful with average power. In that room you may never need more than 140w, (or even near 140w) Depends on your listening levels too. What you will want to research, if you haven't already, is if that recevier lives up to its specs, 2 channel and multi channel. Since they went for 140w, as opposed to 100w, it probally does. I played my RF7's on 100w for years, never sighed.

Thank you all for your advice. The reason I was not planning to get an amp is because I was just trying to keep things simple and, as I said before, I'm just a newbie. I did not want to have to get another piece of equipment if I did not have to do so. Is it possible that I might do well to get a receiver with less power, such as the Yamaha RX-A1000 (105W x 7) or RX-A800 (95W x 7) plus an amp, such as an Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA-5, instead of the RX-A3000? I presently do not have plans to get surrounds, but that doesn't mean that I might not change my mind in the future. From the responses I received, it sounds like I may be OK getting the RF-7 II setup without an amp now, but probably will need one if I decide to add surrounds. Is that right? I am planning to see if I can listen to them both myself at a local dealer. I had looked at speakers about 1 -2 years ago and had listened to the RF-83 and the RF-82 series(they did not carry the RF-63). Of course, the RF-83 sounded a little better, but the RF-82 were very good. At the time, I really could not afford them since I was dealing with my daugher's college tuition, but I think I have waited long enough now.

I still think that if you buy the RF-7 IIs, you should get the Emotiva UPA-1. It is a 7.1 channel receiver without amplifiers (Also known as a pre-amp/processor) for $700.00. Add the Emotiva XPA-3 for $700.00 and you will have MUCH more sound for the same or less money than the A3000 (although it is a very good receiver). An amp is the simplist component you can buy/use. You will have to plug in 3 RCA cords to hook it up. If in the future you decided you wanted to add to surrounds in the future, you could then buy a second amp for around $350.00. That is just what I would do if it were me. None of the options you have presented are wrong in any way.

I recently got a new set of RF-82's (not ii) with an RC-62. My room is similar size of yours. I'm driving my speakers with a Marantz SR5005 Receiver/Amp. It's rated at 100w per channel and it can get louder than I can stand with no distortion. It's 7.1 capable, has zone 2 controls, has plenty of inputs, and it has Pre outs so you can add an amp if you want, lots of setup options and It runs about +/-$600. I'm sure the Yammy you are talkin about will give you plenty of power cuz like JasonJ said the High efficiency of these speakers... I don't know if there is $1200 difference between what I have and what you are lookin at... you can spend as little or as much as you want I suppose [:)]